Graphite doped with distilled water may superconduct at room temperature.

ElasticCollision

Esquinazi concedes that his evidence is “tantalizing” rather than watertight. For one thing, his group has not been able to show that its samples actually conduct electricity with zero resistance

Quote from the article. Whilst the magnetic effects of superconductivity are interesting and useful, what would change the world is the superconducting bit of superconductivity and the team found that when they tried to get it to conduct it lost its special properties

Quote from the article. Whilst the magnetic effects of superconductivity are interesting and useful, what would change the world is the superconducting bit of superconductivity and the team found that when they tried to get it to conduct it lost its special properties

I believe that was only because Esquinazi and his team attempted to compact to doped graphite into pellets. If it were possible to keep the graphite as a powder, it should maintain its apparent superconductivity.

So I suppose I should have been more clear: Could it be possible to apply the graphite in powder form to real world applications such as power cables, or would it definitely have to be in that pellet form?

Edited by ElasticCollusion

Whilst I cannot speak for the team of scientists, I find it hard to believe that they did not try every conceivable method to get the substance to conduct electricity with no resistance. That they could not give positive results is a bad sign; but I would bet my bottom dollar that every member of the team tried every mad idea to get the substance to conduct without resistance

http://www.nature.co...ctivity-1.11443

Anyone got any thoughts on if this could be possible?

I would consider packed graphite with varying grain sizes saturated in water. Then experiment with different kinds of currents. Since the graphite particles have the potential to move I would eventually look toward trying AC at a greater number of cycles per second along with alternating currents of variant cycles, tried with different and maybe even varying voltages. Lower voltages would have more limited applications. Normally this could produce more heat but I think DC would produce an agglomeration of graphite particles, and normal 60 cps of AC might do the same, which one might expect would end the superconductivity.

A liquid type cable interior might not be a problem if the particulates have some freedom of movement but would not have the ability to clump due to an electrical current. If graphite comes close to working I expect they would try other liquids or combinations besides water, along with other forms of carbon such as carbon nano-tubes with water and different types of liquid or material combinations. Hopefully this is a hint of a real possibility someday.

//

Edited by pantheory

I thought that the last paragraph of the article was rather insightful:

" Meanwhile, Alexander Gurevich, a theorist at Old Dominion University in Norfolk, Virginia, cautions that previous claims of high-temperature superconductivity have come unstuck when scrutinized. The magnetic response could have been generated by impurities that were introduced during the sample treatment, he says"

As the researchers concede, they aren't actually observing superconductivity, but magnetic effects consistent with a superconducting state.

I've been a skeptic of these types of reports since the days when claims of "cold fusion" were the big topic of conversation.

I thought that the last paragraph of the article was rather insightful:

" Meanwhile, Alexander Gurevich, a theorist at Old Dominion University in Norfolk, Virginia, cautions that previous claims of high-temperature superconductivity have come unstuck when scrutinized. The magnetic response could have been generated by impurities that were introduced during the sample treatment, he says"

As the researchers concede, they aren't actually observing superconductivity, but magnetic effects consistent with a superconducting state.

I've been a skeptic of these types of reports since the days when claims of "cold fusion" were the big topic of conversation.

I guess skeptism will not seriously come to play until an actual claim of superconductivity is made. Then there will rightfully be a million eyes on the research and claims :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.