school help

interdev33

hello guys , this is my first post on this website so go easy on me....

i am currently a 3rd year university student (undergrad) that is majoring in finance/marketing. After some internships and talking to people in the field of i-banking and trading i realized that this is not a type of field that i would like to stay in for the long term, the long hours added to a toxic environment would not make the money worth it.

What i am planning to do is finish my finance degree , work for 5 years in finance (while studying computer science,mechanical engineering etc on the side) then head into robotics from a developper/entrepreneur angle as In the future i would like to develop products and software that simplifies home life (i know this is very vague, but right now i cannot explain it better)

i was basically wondering how & where can i get the necessary experience & information to properly understand robotics & its software if i am not a person that studied cs/engineering in university?

feel free to email me or answer to the thread

thank you to all

Well there are plenty of resources online to look into these sorts of things. Here are a couple of places you could start.

http://www.academicearth.org/subjects/computerscience

http://video.mit.edu/channel/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/

Keep in mind if you plan on doing any sort of science because you don't want to be in an environment were you work long hours while not making a lot of money you may want to rethink your idea. Not that you couldn't make a lot of money doing these sorts of things, but usually money isn't great for most science jobs, though I'm not sure about CS, and the hours can get pretty terrible. Also, if you aren't really interested in these sorts of things the tedium can get pretty overwhelming. I did computer networking and programming/security for a few years because I thought there would be more money in it. I found that being interested in the subject is much more important than the amount of money you may or may not make.

Well there are plenty of resources online to look into these sorts of things. Here are a couple of places you could start.

http://www.academice...computerscience

http://video.mit.edu...mputer-science/

Keep in mind if you plan on doing any sort of science because you don't want to be in an environment were you work long hours while not making a lot of money you may want to rethink your idea. Not that you couldn't make a lot of money doing these sorts of things, but usually money isn't great for most science jobs, though I'm not sure about CS, and the hours can get pretty terrible. Also, if you aren't really interested in these sorts of things the tedium can get pretty overwhelming. I did computer networking and programming/security for a few years because I thought there would be more money in it. I found that being interested in the subject is much more important than the amount of money you may or may not make.

i see what you are saying , but i actually have a genuine interest in robotics ( and not the ''oh i think robots look cool and i want one'' type of interest) so its alot different from i-banking for me in general(where most people really dont give a shit about the stuff theire discussing/researching , theire purely doing it for the money ) . Long hours doing something im actually interested in i no issue to me.

my main issue was knowing if i would basically have to give an arm and a leg to go back to school to study ME & CS in order to gain a good understanding of robotics , or if i can do that without going through undergrad again.

• 4 weeks later...

hello guys , this is my first post on this website so go easy on me....

i am currently a 3rd year university student (undergrad) that is majoring in finance/marketing. After some internships and talking to people in the field of i-banking and trading i realized that this is not a type of field that i would like to stay in for the long term, the long hours added to a toxic environment would not make the money worth it.

What i am planning to do is finish my finance degree , work for 5 years in finance (while studying computer science,mechanical engineering etc on the side) then head into robotics from a developper/entrepreneur angle as In the future i would like to develop products and software that simplifies home life (i know this is very vague, but right now i cannot explain it better)

i was basically wondering how & where can i get the necessary experience & information to properly understand robotics & its software if i am not a person that studied cs/engineering in university?

feel free to email me or answer to the thread

thank you to all

My advice is to not be too stressful about anything. Stress leads to severe consequences in the end and sometimes temporary gain in front.

Be happy and pick something that doesn't bother you