MsDOS essentials?

YT2095

I`ve just fixed a laptop that I took from the back of a scrap waggon (someone had smashed it up a wall by the looks of it).

it has no HDD or battery, but I can run it off a Variable Voltage PSU without problems.

it Does have a 1.44mb 3.25 drive in it and it works.

I`ve just formated a floppy and put the system files on it, I now get the a:\ prompt

what sorts of things should I copy over from C: on this pc to the floppy so I can at least get Something working on the laptop beyond a:/

obviosly Small executables would be the answer, but which ones?

I run Win98se on this, and the laptop is only a 486dx66.

Cheerz :)

I have those files when I formated the floppy, I was wondering if there are any small executables I could add to the disk?

I looked in C:WINDOWS and found a few, like Notepad and such, I`ve yet to test it though.

somesort of system diagnostic would be great though, is there one in win98? and where would it be, I`m relatively New to Windows OS.

edit: I just tried the exe files and it say, this program can not be run in DOS mode :((

oh i see..

an editor would be "edit.com" - in the windows\command folder i think. there are also a bunch of other goodies that might come in handy, such as the format tool. a DOS version of scandisk.exe must be somewhere in the win-dir also. you can search for a file on the whole disc with "c:>\dir filename /s"

edit: i dunno if nibbles.exe is still there in win98 but if yes, you MUST have it :D

thanks, I`ll try those :)

Wahey! it worked! :))

and I just found out it`s a color screen too, not bad for free with a little carefull soldering and a gallon of Super Glue :)

now all I need are some DOS games that`ll fit onto a 1.44 floppy, and I can let the wife play `puter games in the Shed while I do all the gardening :)

any idea where I can get such games from?