Making a "Basement"

w0rld

Hi. I was reading the book Ready Player One, and the idea of Aech's "Basement" Chat room sounded pretty cool to me. I got thinking, and decided I wanted to make a simple one for myself. A (comparitively) simple program, in first person, where I could boot the application, go into the basement, and mess around. Hopefully, I would be able to embed some emulators in it, so I could play Atari, Commodore 64, NES, MAME, and other things, as well as listen to music, and a fwe other things. This would not be available to the public; only to me and my friends that I give a copy to. Come to think of it, it could be top down, since it would be much easier, and would kind of work the same way. So, since this is one of the few forums I am on, I figured I'd ask here: How should I make the basement? Coding languages, programs, what-have-you. Hopefully I'll get some replies. Suggestions for the "Basement" would also be helpful.

PS: If you haven't read READY PLAYER ONE, READ IT!!!!