Restrictions on logging

TransformerRobot

If you own the land, my supposition is you can tell them to leave certain areas of your land unharvested. In short, yes, I suppose it should be possible, assuming the actual owner of the land chooses to do so. I fail to see how this is an ethical question though - can you expand on your opening post?

This is an ethical question because there are a lot of people who want to preserve the economy before the environment, and vise versa.

Then there's the controversy over illegal logging in South America, which sometimes has led to loggers shooting at indigenous peoples to keep them out of the way.

This is an ethical question because there are a lot of people who want to preserve the economy before the environment, and vise versa.

Then there's the controversy over illegal logging in South America, which sometimes has led to loggers shooting at indigenous peoples to keep them out of the way.

Ok, in that light, I can see the ethics - your opening post wasn't really phrased like like an ethical question.

That said, your fence idea is only going to work if the loggers in question have some reason to respect said fence. If they're willing to shoot people to get at the trees, I have serious doubts that a fence is going to stop them.

A fence is not gonna stop people who will commit murder.

The owner of a piece of land will decide what happens to the trees on the land. If there is no private owner, the government decides.

However, in some places - especially the tropical rain forests - there is nobody to uphold the law. There is a law, but no police. And people just ignore the rules... or in some cases the local governments even give permits to cut the forest down.

Anyway, a fence is not gonna stop murderers who do not care about the law. And people don't care enough to do anything else about it.

A fence is not gonna stop people who will commit murder.

The owner of a piece of land will decide what happens to the trees on the land. If there is no private owner, the government decides.

However, in some places - especially the tropical rain forests - there is nobody to uphold the law. There is a law, but no police. And people just ignore the rules... or in some cases the local governments even give permits to cut the forest down.

Anyway, a fence is not gonna stop murderers who do not care about the law. And people don't care enough to do anything else about it.

Well people should care, especially considering there are loggers who are getting away with murder just to keep their industry alive.

While I don't disagree on any particular point, there are plenty of industries that exploit people, including their own workers, to get ahead. Why are you singling out logging?

Because logging does some of the worst damage to our global ecology. With all these trees falling we have less oxygen and too much CO2. We need a future where our successors can still breathe good air at least, and have plenty of natural resources still available (like fruit trees and schools of fish).