Problem Solving

learner27

Hey guys Im just here to ask if my answer is correct, if not please help me :) because im trying to get ready for our exam tomorrow , so here it is:

Five students went on a trip to the North of California. They traveled at an average of 40km/hr in 3 hrs before taking a snack at Mcdonalds. On the second leg of the trip , they traveled at an average of 20m/s in 2hrs. before taking a coffee break at Starbucks. Then they finally traveles at an average of 60 ft/s in 1 1/2 hours before reaching theyre final destination.What was the total distance they covered in MILES?

here is my answer

S= 53.885 miles

* i used the V= Vi +Vf/2

and S=vt

thanks guys

Eeh... that's not correct.

First you must decide in which unit you will add up all the things (note: it can be miles, but not necessarily).

Then you convert kilometers to miles.

40 km = ?? miles --> 40 km/hr = ?? mph

... and in 3 hrs, they therefore did 3*?? miles.

Then you convert meters into miles.

20 m = ?? miles

But this time, it's in meters per second, so you have to multiply by the number of seconds (how many seconds in 1 hour?).

Etc, etc.

And finally, you just add up the 1st, 2nd and 3rd leg of the journey.

HOw Sir?

first on 40km/h

i converted 40 km to miles and i got 24.84 miles

then 20 meters to miles = .01

then 60 ft to miles = .01

i dont know what to do with the time.. ?

How many seconds are in an hour?

Btw, you probably want one or two more decimals in your conversions from ft and meters to miles.

3600 meters??

Correct. So, now you actually already have converted the time units, but from seconds to hours. You just didn't know you can do it already. :)

If I write that I walk 1 meter in 1 second, that's the same as saying I do 1 m/s.

So, if I ask you how many meters I then did in 1 hour, then I ask you to go from m/s to m/hr, and you did that without mistake.

So, to go from ft/s to miles/hr, you do it in 2 steps: first from ft/s to ft/hr, and then to miles/hr, or the other option is first from ft/s to miles/s and then to miles/hr.

I've seen you do both steps correctly already, so I think my work is done here.