Congrats to SpaceX

Robert Clark

Surprising there is little on this forum about Spacex. They performed an admirable feat in successfully launching their Dragon spacecraft, docking it with the ISS, and now recovering it from space:

SpaceX Dragon Capsule Splashes Down in Pacific, Ending Historic Test Flight.

by Clara Moskowitz, SPACE.com Assistant Managing EditorDate: 31 May 2012 Time: 11:44 AM ET

http://www.space.com/15939-spacex-dragon-capsule-landing-pacific.html

It is quite important to note though that there is nothing particularly innovative about the SpaceX designs. Their engines are no more efficient than the engines on the original Atlas rocket of the 60's that first launched Alan Shepard. And their structures use the same weight saving techniques known since the 1970's. What's innovative about them is that they applied good business practices to cut the development costs of their launchers and spacecraft by 90%(!)

That is what the lasting importance of SpaceX will be: that they showed any of the large aerospace companies in the world can do the same thing by following good business practice in privately developing their launchers and spacecraft.

Thus because the development costs can be cut to such drastic terms, finally we can see a path towards routine space flight.

Bob Clark

I share your admiration for the Space-X achievement and surprise at the lack of commentary. If there is a future in space, this type of endeavour will be central to it.

A small correction: Shepard's first flight was sub-orbital and he was launched by a Redstone, not an Atlas. When he returned to active flight status to command Apollo 14 he was launched on a Saturn V.

I share your admiration for the Space-X achievement and surprise at the lack of commentary. If there is a future in space, this type of endeavour will be central to it.

A small correction: Shepard's first flight was sub-orbital and he was launched by a Redstone, not an Atlas. When he returned to active flight status to command Apollo 14 he was launched on a Saturn V.

Thanks for the correction. I have included that now in my blog.

Bob Clark