The Speed of Light and Discrete notions of Space and Time

wucko

What about this then. I belive that once a photon has been liberated from an atom it no longer has any velocity in the time dimension. All matter is traveling through spacetime at c, in the case of matter most of the velocity is in the time dimension. When a photon is emitted from an atom it is mearly dropped off in 3D space, standing still in time (as it does) while the rest of the "solid" universe speeds away at c, giving the observer the impression that it is the photon that is moving away at the speed of light.

The photon, being an oscilating electromagnetic wave, appears to any observer wizzing by to be a sine wave, but that is only the view of the observer (similar to the light clock analogy). When the photon is observed close up the sine wave is no longer apparent and the photon now appears as a mass-less point (or particle) Same can be said for all kinds of "raw" energy, this energy cannot travel through time.

This should be fun!!!

@ most of the velocity is in the time dimension :

i am toying with a notion that spacetime is made of: time and space, in which space is discrete and in between theese discrete 'points' of space time is building up.http://www.sciencefo...ns/#entry675842

@ standing still in time (as it does) while the rest of the "solid" universe speeds away :

the dilaltion as measured by cosmological redshift is in my oppinion an effect of the buildup of time in a discretely spatial space-time. Again both notion seem similar. But when you say "stands still in time" you are actualy reffering to my "travells ony thru space-dimension of space-time".

@ has been liberated from an atom it no longer has any velocity in the time dimension

in my hypothesis it seems that curvature (gravity) in its ultimate form is devoid or absent of time, so when the photon is released it becomes a light-particle outside the curvature. Infact it has no more velocity in time dimension. But solemnly travells thru discrete spatial dimention, while time itself keeps on building up between theeese points of space it travells thru.

@the rest of the "solid" universe speeds away at c,

it is "speeding away at greater than c, as measured by cosmological redshift", the space-time is growing faster than C (observed from and by an system within curvature - with gravity). And again, similar, what you call "solid" universe i call "has curvature or has gravity"

@this energy cannot travel through time.

perhapse noting could travel thru time (infact i think C prohibits that), but if it wanted to it must be a part of a curvature system (must have gravity), since if anything was to travel thru time, it shoud itself be outside time. I think gravity or curvature is absent of time, if not so, objects within curvature would stretch with the space-time dillation. If we allow a discrete distribution of "space-points" and define travel as traveling thru space, we can reconcile the problem of greater than c dillation as measured by cosmological redshift and confirm that at the same nothing can travel faster than buildup of time in our hypothesysed space-time. time is enddlesly being built up, hence stretching spacetime indefinately, while space travel is only possible at max C and only outside curvature the limit itself can be achieved.

it would at first appear paradoxical to say: a particel traverses spacetime thru discrete points of space A,B,C,... while time is "stretching" the space-time as a whole. It would appear to present us with two times. The time of spacetime (with discrete spatial dimension) and time measured in travel thru discrete-space. But it is not so. In the presence of curvature, the whole body traverses space-time, spatialy discrete and continuously thru time. Comparing motion and activity on scales beyond the reach of gravity, we get the effect of forementioned faster than c dillation, because space-time is stretching faster than "C", since time is infinately being added as a quantity and C is a constant.

So, when your particle had bene 'liberated' from the atom, we could say it exited a body within curvature and is emmiting (travelling) thru spacetime (literally appearing in point A, dissapearing in point A, appering in point B etc.). The atom keeps on traveling thru space time as part of a curvature system (has gravity), and is not effected by the stretching of spacetime, that is what is observed with cosmological red-shift does not "stretch" the atom itself, since in curvature time does not exist. The photon, as a masseless entity however must travel at a constant speed of c. But in between forementioned discrete space-points (A,B,Etc), time itself is increasing. So to look at this photon from an distant galaxy which is drifting avay from our it would seem it is not infact catching up with the dillation. And that infact is a observed fact.

Edited by wucko

http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/66200-a-space-time-with-discrete-space-and-infinite-time-in-both-directions/ this is the location of my hypothesis after the forum rules have mooved it closer to trash (but instedad could just attach 'pure hypothetical X' to each forum for such purposes. :)

please do think about the proposals, i willl be adding math to it asap.