New to Geology!

1dave

Hi I just finished my first year of commerce, and have now switched to geology, I'm from Canada and the demand for geologists is very high. I would just like to get some advice from someone who has gotten a degree or is on course to get a degree in an area of science or more specifically geology. I'd just like to hear what advice you may have given yourself right as you were starting out in whatever science it was that you were involved in.

Thanks!

1. Study hard. No, I mean really hard. Not hard enough to get a pass, but hard enough to know the material and the processes and the alternatives as well as you possibly can. This is your one best shot at getting it right.

2. Do as much maths as you can. Geology is often, mistakenly, seen as a soft science, but the more competent you are at maths and for that matter chemistry and physics, the more effective you will be as a geologist.

3. Did I mention study hard?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Me a Geophy moving on to geochem now.... :D

Well for geosciences I never made a conscious decision to study..... just like to observe stuff around me that all......

advice from me is:

1. hope you have good traveling and interactive skills ... and specially useful ones in rural environments where you may not know local people, customs and language......

2. Should have good Chemistry and understanding of processes.....

3. pay attention to detail......