Medical Devices

Dnz

Hey Guys,

I've got a question. People who usually created medical devices were electrical engineers end etc.... But now there is a special major in Germany call the new Medical technology, which i am studying now... . Do you guys know how the technical term called in the US for this major? It is not biomedical eng.!!! Does this special major exist in the US???

Thx!! :))

In Canada technical colleges have programs related to biomedical technology and the usage of biomedical equipment, but these are not degree programs. I believe the general consensus of universities is that they will teach their engineers the full spectrum of the theory required to handle any task, or to teach their scientists disciplined scientific theory.

What you are specifically addressing is either directed at lab work, or a specialized form of equipment engineering. It doesn't make much sense from a university perspective to specialize students to a given field in a general way by combining disciplines to satisfy a specific market. Here in BC however, UBC does offer a cooperative degree with a technical college (BCIT) that specializes in microbiology in combination with biomedical technology. The five year degree is geared toward microbiology and immunology, and is designed to prepare individuals to be lab technicians--not lab equipment technicians but lab chemists. These individuals are taught in such a way as to be competent in the theory of microbiology, but in combination with the hands on capability of a technologist.

But again speaking from a strictly engineering perspective, why would a university specialize their students in a general way? This approach tends to be restricted entirely to technical colleges!

Edited by Xittenn