simple casting pattern problems

ahmeeeeeeeeeed

Hello,

Can I please know how to solve problems such as

Question 4 here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76599498@N07/6877696868/

And Question 2 here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76599498@N07/6877697132/

I am at the first year at the faculty of Engineering , unfortunately I don't know a resource from which I can get answers ..

Can any body tell me a free website or book on the internet for solved _simple_ examples on this subject ??

Thanks

the height in question 4 is 100 mm

!

Moderator Note

Your pictures are obviously questions from a textbook for your study, so this is homework. Topic moved.

Also, it is our general policy to only help with homework if you show what you tried to solve this yourself. You're not getting free answers here.

first , sorry for a wrong place

secondly , It isnot homework , it is a previous Exam , I am tring to find a solution because I have An Exam next week.

thirdly : I really don't have any idea what to do .

well, If I can't get an answer to a specific question Can any body tell me a free website or book on the internet for solved _simple_ examples on this subject ??

UP

I really don't have any idea what to do.

You really don't have any ideas?

Question 4 says: What is the minimum amount ...

So, what kind of "amount" are we talking about here? In terms of money ($532)? In terms of items (532 paper clips)? In terms of text (532 words)? In terms of weight (532 kg)? In terms of volume (532 gallons)?

If you "really don't have any idea", then you will have a horrible time in engineering.

So, what kind of "amount" are we talking about here? In terms of money ($532)? In terms of items (532 paper clips)? In terms of text (532 words)? In terms of weight (532 kg)? In terms of volume (532 gallons)?

Amount of material , which I think will be the volume of this shape plus the machinig allowance, I think I have to assume that , I think that this second required is easy , but what about the first one ? what should I do in this ? have I to make a pattern and show how exactly to work step by step ?

If you "really don't have any idea", then you will have a horrible time in engineering.

Just a small note about this :D

, not really.. I'm not going to specialize in mechanical Enginering or manufacturing Engineering , but almost in communications , and I'am quite good at the other subjects from different such as computer , maths , physics ...etc , It is just this preparatory year that I will study these things , and the professors of this subject don't give enough care at all to preparatory year students , so unspecialized teachers ( may be Engineers or technecians) teach us in a totally disorderd way ,.. NO good sources of information at all , resulting in the "case" of me you are seeing right now :D

Thank you for response

Amount of material , which I think will be the volume of this shape plus the machinig allowance, I think I have to assume that , I think that this second required is easy , but what about the first one ? what should I do in this ? have I to make a pattern and show how exactly to work step by step ?

So, the second part is volume by the shape, and you think you know how to compute the volume. Good.

But, the first step, show exactly how to cast the part. I think there's two halves to this answer. The first half is how to make the mold. The second half is how to cast the part. Because you (and not me) are reading the book, you probably know better what it said about castings. To begin with, there's a few different methods of castings, so which method will you use? Then what are the mold's dimensions? And then, of course, what steps would you perform to cast the part?

Okay, you probably know more about casting than I do. Include in your details how to make the mold, and a part that puzzles me is the core, which seems separate from the molds in your diagram. Is the core loose, allowing it to move around? If so, how would you steady it? Also, you mention adding the thickness of the core, which I don't understand.