Interesting Classroom Experiment

Mr.Chemist

Howdy? I'm looking for something unusual that I can do in my classroom demonstration in Chemistry. I have one problem though. I don't know what to do. Who has an idea of a really cool and interesting experiment? The ones which use chemicals that are common and safe. Thank you for considering.

There are a few I've done as demos for yr 7 and yr8 highschool classes. All of them are online so i'll just put the titles/key words for you to research.

1) Glow in the dark goo (Be careful with this one... mine didn't glow in the dark and just looked like sperm -_- Actually amazed none of the kids picked up on it).

2) Traffic lights (beaker of green turns yellow and red as you pour the solution into another beaker- then back)

3) Thermite- little bit of thermite in porcelin evapourating basin (costa you the evapourating basin!!) outside- use Mg ribbon to light it.

4) Touch powder is a good one, but its illegal to do in NSW now- so check your laws. Its nitrogen triiodide. Make less than a gram!

5) Elephant toothpaste

6) rubber bones

7) various experiments to do with reacting chromium (vii) oxide and ammonia gas.

8) ammonia fountain (inverted round bottom flask containing ammonia gas stoppered with 1 delivery tube. stick the other end of the tube in water (slightly acidic) with litmus or universal indicator to colour the water. eventually (i used to heat the flask to push some of the gass out) the water creeps up then when it hits the ammonia gas it dissolves forms a vacuum and sucks water up with enough velocity for the water to squirt to the top of the flask and run down the sides (changing colour because of the indicator).

There are more, but they are a few to try. You will probs want to do a risk assesment for each and perform the demo first by yourself to familiarise yourself with the risks and procedure because standards online are sketchy sometimes.

briggs rauscher?

trafic lights bottle?

flame tests?

peroxide genie?

screaming jelly baby?

whoosh bottle?

water to wine?

turning pennies gold?

......... erm.............................?

:)

ohhhhhhhhhh methane bubbles!!!!!! they love it!

and the exploding paint can!

There are a few I've done as demos for yr 7 and yr8 highschool classes. All of them are online so i'll just put the titles/key words for you to research.

1) Glow in the dark goo (Be careful with this one... mine didn't glow in the dark and just looked like sperm -_- Actually amazed none of the kids picked up on it).

2) Traffic lights (beaker of green turns yellow and red as you pour the solution into another beaker- then back)

3) Thermite- little bit of thermite in porcelin evapourating basin (costa you the evapourating basin!!) outside- use Mg ribbon to light it.

4) Touch powder is a good one, but its illegal to do in NSW now- so check your laws. Its nitrogen triiodide. Make less than a gram!

5) Elephant toothpaste

6) rubber bones

7) various experiments to do with reacting chromium (vii) oxide and ammonia gas.

8) ammonia fountain (inverted round bottom flask containing ammonia gas stoppered with 1 delivery tube. stick the other end of the tube in water (slightly acidic) with litmus or universal indicator to colour the water. eventually (i used to heat the flask to push some of the gass out) the water creeps up then when it hits the ammonia gas it dissolves forms a vacuum and sucks water up with enough velocity for the water to squirt to the top of the flask and run down the sides (changing colour because of the indicator).

There are more, but they are a few to try. You will probs want to do a risk assesment for each and perform the demo first by yourself to familiarise yourself with the risks and procedure because standards online are sketchy sometimes.

hiya, i use the holder of a tea light candle instead of a crucible, so much cheaper!!!! :)