acids, bases, etc

nemzy

Suppose u let an acid sample sit for a week, does it lose weight after a period of time? and a base sample gain weight after a period of time? why is like this? and when a sample gains weight, the melthing point rises. is it because of the increased intermolecular forces? thanks

you don`t state if it`s open to the air or a sealed container?

some acids will gain weight, and others will loose it.

HCl and KNO3 will lose weight as they give off gasses, H2SO4 will take moisture from the air and gain weight.

a very general rule would be If you can smell it at room temp, you`re losing some :)

Sulphuric acid is a Dehydrating agent also. so it`ll take in moisture from the air (and anything else, it can even rip water at a molecular level)

Nitric acid, however, is a more potent oxidizer I believe. Concentrated sulfuric acid doesn't attack silver at any appreciable rate, I think, while nitric acid dissolves it very quickly. It's ability to dissolve silver is more related to its oxidizing ability than it's acidic ability.

actualy, it all depends on what the OP meant as "Strong", I consider "Strong" from a chemical standpoint.

some may look at the concentration standpoint or corrosive ability, it`s impossible to determine without some discourse :)