What is this?

ConorODhr

I'm pretty sure it was (1-a)S(pi)(r^2)=4(pi)(r^2)2εδ(T^4) , and I think it has something to do with solar flux and radiation.

I'm not a mathematician, but I suppose it depends on what "S" and "c" might stand for and whether the formula has more than one application. Hopefully a mathematician will be able to shed some light.

I'm pretty sure it was (1-a)S(pi)(r^2)=4(pi)(r^2)2εδ(T^4) , and I think it has something to do with solar flux and radiation.

I am a mathematician.

If what you say is true then it appears to me (since 4pi r^2 is the area of a sphere and T^4 is part of the Stephan-Boltzman radiation law)

that the equation arises from physics rather than mathematics and that it has something to do with radiative heat flux. But to be certain it would help rather a lot if you had some sort of reference to where you found the equation since any fool with a pencil can write down a bunch of symbols. the symbols a, ε, and δ are a bit mysterioius when taken out of context. If you had used [math]\epsilon \sigma[/math] rather than εδ that would be consistent with the way most authors write the Stephan-Boltzmann law.

I'm not a fool with a pencil, but this is just copied straight from somewhere else. I wouldn't have gone near it if it hadn't had been a reputable source, I just found it a while back and forgot to write an explanation. Research I've done says it's something to do with reflected radiation and the Greenhouse Effect, and the epsilon, delta combination is a law regarding limit?

• 3 weeks later...