Viral-Bacterium Germ

Imparticle

Years ago, I had an idea for a "genetic" germ, an organism that has some of the characteristics of a virus, but still constitutes a bacteria. Sort of a combination of the two. I used this germ as a means to explain how a species of trees on their own hypothetical planet could synthesize consciousness; that is to say, sentient plants. The germs are hyperactive. They are constantly tampering with and re-coding segments of DNA within certain cells of the tree, so that information can be stored via the relative coding of groups of large organizations of cells as a whole. In short, the germ and the plant cells simulate an electrical-impulsive brain system, in a microscopic chemical process, to give rise to a "cellular consciousness". Does that make sense insofar?

I even went so far as to describe how the communicate. They do so through the reproductive process. Reproductive genes are encoded to describe an idea. The material is sent out and intercepted by other trees through the flower organs or what have you. The germs break down the material and reconstruct the idea for that organism's consciousness.

Their evolutionary history was noted as well. They were formerly a mobile species, but the presence and complications involving the germ eventually shifted them into sedentary forms. That part is just hugely speculated... But further history was more tangible. After a certain period of interbreeding with the local tree species, eventually a subspecies emerged out of the tree genes instilled in the offspring, and facilitated the germ, giving rise to a more primitive consciousness. Communication between the two species consisted of great intelligences speaking to--almost neanderthalic intelligence. However, interbreeding of the two species in concert eventually produced a third species, one that was not as superior as the eldertrees, but far more intelligent than the mentally limited second species. Naturally, the middle species dominated the lower species, and the eldertrees contended to their own caste according to the intangible vastness of their intelligence.

It seems like a very complex relationship, but there it is. The germs eventually become a very interesting idea to me and I've always wanted to figure out their intricacies and details. Alas, I lack the biochemical knowledge. Some of it may seem very off the wall or misguided. Any insight would be helpful to me though. Suggestions on naming and classifications of the germ would be appreciated as well.