Testing my turbine

Marky

Hi all this is my first post on the forum so here goes.

I have made a small wind turbine and was thinking on how to work out the power it generates. Please let me tell you a bit about it. 

I rotates un- loaded at 840 rpm, so I was looking at the best rpm would be about 420rpm. I was thinking on getting it to lift some weight or do some work. due to it's high RPM I was looking at getting going un-loaded and seeing how much it can lift before it stalls the blades or stops going round. for an example if it lifted a 4kg weight 1 mtr is one second that would be 39.2 watts of energy. would this be a good method to work out how much power the turbine would be rated or is this not the correct method.

Many thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Marky

Hi all and many thanks for the replies, I was looking at open FOAM but all I need is a ball part number of what it could do so I can design the PMG for proof of concept. or an alternative method of finding out what it might do. What I was looking at was how if it was 100% efficient say like a Pelton  turbine, as I have been told you need 4 times the amount of power to lift a weight. I am unable to get my head around this one

All I am saying is if the mass pushing on the blades at say at 90 degrees at 1kg and it could lift .250 of a kg at the wing speed would it be 100% or 50% efficient

Many thanks for your replies.

Marky,

• 6 months later...

i belive it is 50% .250 x 90degreesx4 = 360degrees x 4 = 360 cubed remainder 1 squre.025

1 squre of 360 = 360/4 = 90 i belive the .025 is a mathmatical anomily of energy disapation as in heat disipation from converting rotery energy in to electric energy while under a load.

P.S I have know idea how the maths of this works, I know how the concepts work. I worked this out on a calculater.

I have Dyscalculia and Aspergers Syndrome + other lerning disabilities and such

Currently Im working towards an A for when I retake me GCSE's