What public schools did everyone attend for theoretical physics?

php111

Hey everyone,

I'm in the USA, but Happy Thanksgiving to all!!!

What public schools did everyone attend for an undergraduate BS degree, and then moved towards the graduate level of a PhD in theoretical string theory/theoretical particle physics theory?

In otherwords, whatever school you guys went too, was it an excellent college that gets you ready for more advanced work such as going deep out into the string theory field? Or was the college didn't know how to teach a class by having poor reputation, and the college was more on the academic level rather then heavy physics?

I never took my SAT's, or any kind of testing like that. I have plans on going to a local Community College by building a background. What would be a good shot where I would get accepted as a transfer from a CC for a BS degree that has what I'm looking for to get into schools where you guys have went? Or there is no chance at all?

I know of only two people on sfn who do work in string theory or theoretical particle physics on a PhD+ level. Neither of them seems to post here, anymore. The two people still posting here that may come closest to that are not from the US. In other words: You may be better off asking your questions in a forum with a larger physics audience, e.g. www.physicsforums.com (but even there most replies are likely to be from fellow students who merely pretend to know what they are talking about).

I know of only two people on sfn who do work in string theory or theoretical particle physics on a PhD+ level. Neither of them seems to post here, anymore. The two people still posting here that may come closest to that are not from the US. In other words: You may be better off asking your questions in a forum with a larger physics audience, e.g. www.physicsforums.com (but even there most replies are likely to be from fellow students who merely pretend to know what they are talking about).

Thank you to the both of you.

@timo,

1.) I am on an iPhone, so I am a member of that site, but my iPhone won't pull up a desktop site. I stopped posting over there a few months ago.

2.) What are some other forums that knows what they are talking about? College confidential is out of the picture. They made fun of me. A moderator had to do something. They were calling me predgigstuos. Of course, I'm not that way. Unfortunately, moderators over there can't discuss what actions she took. That's what she told me in PM when I said thank you. Do you have any other good forums?

1.) I am on an iPhone, so I am a member of that site, but my iPhone won't pull up a desktop site. I stopped posting over there a few months ago.

I don't understand what you say here.

2.) What are some other forums that knows what they are talking about?
Dunno. I'm active almost exclusively here, and never been registered at any other forum than this, physicsforums, and a programming forum.

I don't know how to do the multi quote. I can't pull up some sites as desktop. I can only do it as mobile over there.

Where can I find good physics colleges that are public for a BS degree?

How hard would it be for Caltech if I went to a local CC to build a background, and without taking any such High School testing, or courses in HS? I graduated from HS in June of 10 years ago which was 2001.

Hey timo,

Did you give up on me about questions, and helping me? Are you letting someone else help me now?

1) Relax. This forum is not a chat room, and tends to be much slower than most other forums you may be used to. Many of us are really old grandpas (25+ years old), and prefer a slower pace of discussion.

2) I actually never even tried to answer your questions, I merely told you that you will not find the kind of people whom you wanted to address your question to (people who went through school and university education in the US and at least hold a PhD in theoretical particle physics or string theory) in this forum. I can of course comment on your question (and won't stop anyone else to do so) if you want to. I just don't have the competence you were asking for.

3) I am not from the US. Good public universities for a B.Sc. degree can be found in Europe.

4) From my experience of reading a bit on physicsforums.com every idiot and his mother think that their live is forfeit if they do not go to one of the famous engineering schools in the US (for a degree in theoretical physics ...). Considering the number of applicants that probably result of this hype, my first-order approximation about your chances would be "zero".

How hard would it be for Caltech if I went to a local CC to build a background, and without taking any such High School testing, or courses in HS?

I'm a student as well and I'm not studying the field you wish to pursue. I'd just like to take the time to tell you that it would be very difficult for you to get into a school like Caltech. Also, there are many other fine public universities that would net you a good education. You needn't attend the "best of the best" type schools.