Metabolism of Alcohol by the liver

People,

We know alcohol consumption need to be detoxified by the liver through an enzyme in the liver. I think, the liver requires extra water for that purpose, and as a result, robs it from other body tissues to get it done, resulting in waste "water (the diuretic effect). If this is not entirely accurate, pls correct me.

So, how long does this process take from the time of consumption to when the effect of the diuretic process finishes? In other terms, when will one stop urinating profusely cuz he got drunk? What if he only drank a 12 oz size (not drunk)?

Tanks!

People,

We know alcohol consumption need to be detoxified by the liver through an enzyme in the liver. I think, the liver requires extra water for that purpose, and as a result, robs it from other body tissues to get it done, resulting in waste "water (the diuretic effect). If this is not entirely accurate, pls correct me.

I don't believe that is quite the process. Water is eliminated by the kidneys. Alcohol causes dehydration because it inhibits an antidiuretic hormone that comes from the pituitary gland. Basically, alcohol causes the pituitary gland to tell the kidneys that the body could do without retaining so much water.

So, how long does this process take from the time of consumption to when the effect of the diuretic process finishes?

According to the following paper, it varies, but urine production is greatest 60 to 120 minutes after drinking and returns to normal 30 to 60 minutes after enzymes in the urine show peak concentration.

Abstract

Healthy male volunteers drank neat whisky in amounts corresponding to 0.51, 0.68, or 0.85 g ethanol/kg body weight in 15–25 min after an overnight (10 h) fast. Urine was collected immediately before drinking and then at 60 min intervals for 7–8 h after intake. The volumes of urine voided were measured and the concentrations of alcohol (UAC) were determined by an enzymatic method. Ethanol-induced diuresis showed large inter-subject variations. The flow of urine was maximum between 60 and 120 min post-drinking when the median rates of production were 117 ml/h (range 55–335), 113 ml/h (range 41–453) and 373 ml/h (range 215–485) for 0.51, 0.68, and 0.85 g ethanol/kg respectively. The output of urine returned to normal (30–60 ml/h) after the peak UAC had passed despite an elevated blood alcohol concentration (BAC). The average amount of alcohol excreted in urine was 0.29 g (S.D. 0.119), 0.44 g (S.D. 0.246), and 1.00 g (S.D. 0.427) after the consumption of 0.51, 0.68 and 0.85 g ethanol/kg respectively. Neither peak diuresis nor the amount of alcohol excreted depended on a subject's age between 20 and 60 years. This work shows that after drinking a moderate dose of alcohol, only 0.7–1.5% of the amount consumed is excreted unchanged in urine. Ethanolinduced diuresis is most pronounced for the first 1–2 h after drinking (rising BAC). The production of urine returns to normal during the post-absorptive state.

link

Interestingly, urine production returns to normal even if you continue drinking and maintaining a high blood alcohol level... according to this in any case.

alcohol consumption need to be detoxified by the liver through an enzyme in the liver.
The body detoxifies alcohol in a two-step process using two different dehydrogenase enzymes: the first step converts ethanol into the acetaldehyde, the second step converts this poisonous aldehyde to acetic acid. BTW, this second step is inhibited in people who take Antabuse (used to curb alcoholism) and some people of Asian descent (who are genetically predisposed to producing insufficient amounts of this enzyme), resulting in them experiencing this aldehyde's toxic effects (pounding headache, nausea/vomiting, flush face, confusion, etc).

the liver requires extra water for that purpose, and as a result, robs it from other body tissues to get it done, resulting in waste "water (the diuretic effect). If this is not entirely accurate, pls correct me.
This is a non sequitor. Dehydration (ie, drawing water from the tissues) would not cause the kidneys to increase urine production, which would increase dehydration, further stimulating the kidneys, etc, etc. We depend on our bodies' natural homeostasis (including the stability of hydration) for survival. I'm not sure if alcohol metabolism requires water or produces water or both.

when will one stop urinating profusely cuz he got drunk? What if he only drank a 12 oz size (not drunk)?
Twelve ounces and not drunk sounds like beer/ale/etc, which is mostly water, so the same effect would occur from drinking 12 oz of water or soda, especially several 12-oz servings. I don't see a diuretic effect here, but simply what goes in must come out and that drinkers don't tend to notice the volume of their drinks until the urge to urinate.

The body detoxifies alcohol in a two-step process using two different dehydrogenase enzymes: the first step converts ethanol into the acetaldehyde, the second step converts this poisonous aldehyde to acetic acid. BTW, this second step is inhibited in people who take Antabuse (used to curb alcoholism) and some people of Asian descent (who are genetically predisposed to producing insufficient amounts of this enzyme), resulting in them experiencing this aldehyde's toxic effects (pounding headache, nausea/vomiting, flush face, confusion, etc).

This is a non sequitor. Dehydration (ie, drawing water from the tissues) would not cause the kidneys to increase urine production, which would increase dehydration, further stimulating the kidneys, etc, etc. We depend on our bodies' natural homeostasis (including the stability of hydration) for survival. I'm not sure if alcohol metabolism requires water or produces water or both.

Twelve ounces and not drunk sounds like beer/ale/etc, which is mostly water, so the same effect would occur from drinking 12 oz of water or soda, especially several 12-oz servings. I don't see a diuretic effect here, but simply what goes in must come out and that drinkers don't tend to notice the volume of their drinks until the urge to urinate.

Acetaldehyde is supposed to be a carcinogen and no amount of alcohol consumpting is entirely safe.

Iggy,

That abstract was great. Very easy to read/understand, although, true, this is not that intense a subject. Looks like 1-3 hrs should do it for the effect to entirely clear.

Now, it may be that acetaldehyde is a carcinogen, but hey, for that matter, so isnt ethyl alcohol! Thing to know though, is its not enough to know a compound is a carcin or not, you have to understand the environment- eg: concentration of that carcin compound, etc. Another words, its like saying phenol is a poison (and, depending, its a deadly poison/carcinogen), but we rub it on our faces every day (Blistex, etc). Even spray it down our throats (Cloraseptic). Still, I appreciate the idea/point presented.

The point: I can still drink a 12 oz beer at dinner (6 pm) without worrying that it will induce me to get up at 2-3AM....LOL

Thanks, people

Ewmon, thanks for your info and personal feedback. Only thing, I should debate your "same effect", in a friendly way- I dont believe that soda/sugary pop/soft drinks/whatever causes the liver to detoxify as it has to with ethyl alcohol. Sugar is not a toxin- just shocks the pancreas with spike sugar. No?

Edited by pippo

Ewmon, thanks for your info and personal feedback. Only thing, I should debate your "same effect", in a friendly way- I dont believe that soda/sugary pop/soft drinks/whatever causes the liver to detoxify as it has to with ethyl alcohol. Sugar is not a toxin- just shocks the pancreas with spike sugar. No?

You're right that the liver doesn't detoxify sugary drinks.

Instead, in regards to your question "when will one stop urinating profusely cuz he got drunk? What if he only drank a 12 oz size (not drunk)?", consider if the person sat with friends in a pub, quaffing several 12-oz servings of water. All that water would cause the drinker to urinate profusely because it's a simple matter of what goes in must come out.

Iggy,

That abstract was great. Very easy to read/understand, although, true, this is not that intense a subject. Looks like 1-3 hrs should do it for the effect to entirely clear.

Yeah, depending on how fast you drink and if you have a full stomach and things like that, but it returns to normal not long after your blood alcohol level stops rising would be a good benchmark.

consider if the person sat with friends in a pub, quaffing several 12-oz servings of water. All that water would cause the drinker to urinate profusely because it's a simple matter of what goes in must come out.

+1.

It's actually the first thing the second link I gave says,

The diuresis following the ingestion of alcohol has been compared with the increased urine flow secondary to water ingestion.

Drinking alcohol, even pure grain alcohol, the body reacts as if you just drank a good deal of water. It thinks it needs to clear free water from the blood.

Edited by Iggy