Comprehensive Mathematics for Computer Scientists 1

BeuysVonTelekraft

I'm reading Comprehensive Mathematics for Computer Scientists 1, has anyone read it?

I've picked this book last year, i wanted to understand the Rubato music composer and after i understood what would be needed to operate it, i asked Guerino Mazzola about a good book to get started on the necessary topics, he suggested me this book. I opened the book and i made the first chapter pretty fast, but when the second chapter came, i swear that the only thing i could see is something like the image below.

286747-M-Bei-HK-Traditional-Chinese-Font-Family.gif

Now that i know a little more of maths due to books like "for dummies" and "The complete idiot's guide", i open the second chapter and it seems more like the image below:

russian-text.gif

It's russian, it's easy.I can read it slow and stuttering, but i kinda understand it.

I have a doubt on how it's reading should proceed. There are lots of axioms, remarks, proofs, sorites, etc.

Should i memorize each one of them? What would be a effective way of reading it?

Thanks in advance.

• 3 months later...

I haven't read the above book. But I do know that any computer scientist needs to have knowledge of Discrete Mathematics: As this will teach you naive set theory, logic, counting principles, Relations, Digraphs, Graph theory, Languages and finite - state machines and much more. Then you could complement it with the above mentioned book.

I have a doubt on how it's reading should proceed. There are lots of axioms, remarks, proofs, sorites, etc.

Should i memorize each one of them? What would be a effective way of reading it?

Thanks in advance.

When dealing with Definitions, axioms, theorems, and proofs. It's always a good idea to understand what a particular definition, axiom or theorem is saying and then going on to reading the associated proof to get a complete picture of whats going on.

Memorizing is never a good idea. :D

I haven't read the above book. But I do know that any computer scientist needs to have knowledge of Discrete Mathematics: As this will teach you naive set theory, logic, counting principles, Relations, Digraphs, Graph theory, Languages and finite - state machines and much more. Then you could complement it with the above mentioned book.

When dealing with Definitions, axioms, theorems, and proofs. It's always a good idea to understand what a particular definition, axiom or theorem is saying and then going on to reading the associated proof to get a complete picture of whats going on.

Memorizing is never a good idea. :D

Yay! You answered it! Thank you. So I just need to understand the implications of the axioms and theorems? Now it's kinda easier, I thought I ought to memorize.