Movie "the Core"

Irranath

I was curious to know how accurate those guys got it in the movie 'The Core' I know it's not the greatest fiilm in the world I think they could have done better with it however, I was wondering what people though about the accuracy of the theories of what the earth looks like as they travelled through the layers to get o the core.

I also understand that what's under the surface it is all best guessed anyways but what do you guys think?

:D

• 2 weeks later...

I was curious to know how accurate those guys got it in the movie 'The Core' I know it's not the greatest fiilm in the world I think they could have done better with it however, I was wondering what people though about the accuracy of the theories of what the earth looks like as they travelled through the layers to get o the core.

I also understand that what's under the surface it is all best guessed anyways but what do you guys think?

:D

Our knowledge of the earths interior comes from Seismic Measurements. That data is used to show the different layers of the earths interior, and also gives us some 'idea' on the density of the materials at each location. So we 'assume' the inner core is made out of pure iron, or is a giant iron crystal because it has a similar density. When they said in the movie that the deepest we have ever gotten towards our earths core was a drill bit, that much was accurate. The Kola Superdeep Borehole project, nicknamed "Well to Hell" was a Russian science project that was in my opinion, absolutely awesome. The project shattered many geological predictions at what we would find at even a shallow depth of the earths crust. They had an initial target depth of 15,000 meters. They reached over 12,000 meters , and the temperatures began to make it impossible to go any further. For the record, the crust is about 35,000 - 70,000m thick. So when it comes to really understanding the internal structure of our very own planet, we literally have yet to scratch the surface.

Let's put it this way: up until "2012" came out, "The Core" held the dubious honor of being considered by scientists as being the most scientifically inaccurate film made.

most unintentionally scientificly inaccurate.

there were a lot of spoofs out there that did a better job intentionally.

lmao! about the only scientific fact that the core got right is that there are rocks underneath the surface of the earth. the science fiction movie whose ideas i really loved about sub-surface sentient beings was the abyss. do you remember the jellyfish submarines and the bio-luminescent aliens? anyone know the (im)probability of such intricate and large organisms being able to exist that deep beneath the ocean surface???

Guest Rollin78

Though the movie was fine, but i did found some few factual errors. well that won't be of ant proportion if you saw it just for fun but i couldn't help thinking When the shuttle's landing gearis deployed during its emergency landing, two buttons are pressed; the firstone is labeled "ARM". There is nothing to arm with respect to theorbiter's undercarriage. The deploy mechanism simply opens the doors and allowsthe undercarriage to swing down by gravity.