Pre-requisites to learn set theory.

BeuysVonTelekraft

Set theory is about as fundamental as you can get. I can't think of anything you need to learn first, except maybe the language the set theory book of choice is written in ^_^

I've even seen a children's/preschoolers' show teaching set theory, although it was in some kind of slavic language and so may not help you.

Bear in mind that there will be a large amount of variation in the level at which a given textbook will be set. It may presume general mathematical skills you do not have. So if you start reading and find it confusing, browse further.

Re: Basic knowledge. What 'basic' means depends heavily on who you're talking to.

One good metric might be when you understand the proof that there is no universal set. Another would be understanding these terms and how to apply them in the context of set theory: compliment, intersection, union, power set, negation

Edited by Schrödinger's hat

And is there a consense of what this basic knowledge may be?

Probably little more than this.

Set theory becomes quickly very axiomic and is stated to be the foundation of classical mathematics. Today people think that sets are not enough and one ends up in category theory and the idea of topos.

Apparently there is a notion of music set theory.

Probably little more than this.

Set theory becomes quickly very axiomic and is stated to be the foundation of classical mathematics. Today people think that sets are not enough and one ends up in category theory and the idea of topos.

Apparently there is a notion of music set theory.

Thank you. I'm reading it, i got "Set Theory, an introduction" by Robert L. Vaught" too.

I'm reading the book "The rubato music composer" and on fourth chapter, he says i need a basic knowledge about set theory. What are the pre-requisites for learning set theory? And is there a consense of what this basic knowledge may be?

At the level that you describe there are no prerequisites and the subject (so-called naive set theory) is very simple. The first chapter of any book on abstract algebra or introductory real analysis should be more than enough. Even a chapter on set theory from a high school book should suffice.

At the more advanced level of formal axiomatic set theory described by ajb you need a tremendous capacity for tedium. A masochistic streak would also be helpful. Alcohol might ease the pain.

At the level that you describe there are no prerequisites and the subject (so-called naive set theory) is very simple. The first chapter of any book on abstract algebra or introductory real analysis should be more than enough. Even a chapter on set theory from a high school book should suffice.

At the more advanced level of formal axiomatic set theory described by ajb you need a tremendous capacity for tedium. A masochistic streak would also be helpful. Alcohol might ease the pain.

Haha, i'll remember that.