Storing your country's surplus power

theresa

Ontario pays its neighbors to take its surplus power. Battery technology is in its infancy. Considering the waste, I would have thought this would be a huge priority. Why is this technology difficult to achieve?

Story about surplus power:

http://www.enviralment.ca/2011/09/19/ontario-paying-others-to-take-surplus-power/

Story about battery technology:

http://www.enviralment.ca/2011/08/19/the-1-2-megawatt-battery/

I'm personally a fan of hydroelectric dams for storage of surplus energy. It is proven technology (according to this website, there are 82 of such dams around the world, specifically for storage, not just power generation).

I do not understand why anyone would build a large battery right now, except to fund the learning curve to make them cheaper in the future.

I do not understand why anyone would build a large battery right now, except to fund the learning curve to make them cheaper in the future.

To be able to power electric circuits later more efficiently and not to make the same storage mistake of the past .

To be able to power electric circuits later more efficiently and not to make the same storage mistake of the past .

Could you please quote the entire post, the first bit was relevant for the second bit.

My question was about the specific choice for a battery (as opposed to for exampe a hydroelectric dam), and not about the need for storage in general.

Could you please quote the entire post, the first bit was relevant for the second bit.

My question was about the specific choice for a battery (as opposed to for exampe a hydroelectric dam), and not about the need for storage in general.

Yes CaptainPanic , I can certainly quote the entire post , selective extraction is a normal occurence in the forum , sadly .

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.