aneuploid hybrid cats

macmanmatty

Hello My friend and I are cross breeding a female geoffrey's cat to a male f4 bengal (domestic cat at this point). The problem is that geoffrey's cat has a different number of chromosomes than the domestic bengal. The geoffrey's has 36 while the domestic has 38. This should give the resulting hybrid 37 right? Now this cross has been done the other way numerous times to make what is called the safari cat. In this cross a male geoffrey's is mated to a female domestic. It produces very large kittens and resemble the wild parent geoffrey's cat alot. The geoffrey's cat is completely missing f series of chromosomes (which are some of the more pronounced chromosomes in the domestic cat species so I have read) and also has an extra c chromosome i believe. Would this make the cat larger than normal or cause any fertility problems in females (with other cross there have been fertile females produced and when mated with domestics have gone to produce f2 cats with varying numbers of chromosomes) also what the effect be on meiosis in the embryos with this combo? With mother having the lower number of chromosomes what would be the effect on the embryos? In reality I just want know wether these will be large cats and wether the females will have chance at fertility. I would also like to know if selecting cats that only have 36 chromsomes in the f2 and later generations would produce a more wilder looking cat or have any other effect on personality ect, as I do not know what genetic information is carried on these chromosomes.

Thanks

Jesse

Edited by macmanmatty

The embryos could have a modified effect to that of a human with down syndrome. When you think about it its the same thing. The mother has less then the father the father adds the extra and thus down syndrome. Same effects the other way around. Now since this is cats and not humans it could be a modified version. Since the offspring tend to typically look like the mother, based on the other test, this mix should do the same. As far as genetic mutations, there shouldn't be a problem. If, however, (big if) the litter is big enough then 1 may come out with a genetic mutation. But you really shouldn't have a problem with it. If you still fear it, then periodical check ups and prenatal care should help ease your mind.