Finding the answers by look "outward"

questionposter

I thought about the shape of the universe, and it seems that when you start out, like on Earth's surface, it's a big cluster of stuff, then you zoom out, and it's a point, then you zoom out, and it's a cluster of solar systems, then you zoom out and that solar system is a point, then you zoom out, another cluster of solar system clusters, you zoom out, that whole thing looks like a point. I think that because of fractal symmetry or at least the nature of the patterns of the structure of the universe, this happens infinitely, and there's either infinite matter and energy or infinite space in which uncountable number's of big bangs happen, because if we zoom out enough, our entire universe that we can see would look like a point, but based on the patterns that made up that point, we should expect the pattern to continue and see a cluster "universes" and zoom out from that so that that looks like a point, and zoom out so that that has more clusters of clusters of big bangs and that would continue infinitely, which means all we'd need to do to prove this is send a probe a very very long distance and back. Actually now that I think about it, the distance between universes is a fractal like this:

I.I.I...I.I.I...I.I.I.........I.I.I...I.I.I...I.I.I.........I.I.I...I.I.I...I.I.I...........................I.I.I...I.I.I...I.I.I.........I.I.I...I.I.I...I.I.I.........I.I.I...I.I.I...I.I.I...........................I.I.I...I.I.I...I.I.I and so on.

Do you see that that structure of 3 columns and the structure of the distance between them upholds no matter when integer of scale you see them in? That's what I think it's like when matter being spread out and the distance between universes, so if you think 14 billion light years is a lot, wait until you see how far away the next universe is.

I don't know if this belongs in speculation because it's sort of the question, and the question is "is this a legitimate theory?"

Edited by questionposter

I have been thinking it this way; zoom out enough times and we end up zooming out of a quark or gluon or whatever smallest thing in the universe, then a fundamental particle, then an atom, then a molecule, then a surface, etc.

Speculation; Instead of an infinite universe, the universe is infolded.

...I think that because of fractal symmetry or at least the nature of the patterns of the structure of the universe, this happens infinitely, and there's either infinite matter and energy or infinite space in which uncountable number's of big bangs happen, because if we zoom out enough, our entire universe that we can see would look like a point, but based on the patterns that made up that point, we should expect the pattern to continue and see a cluster "universes" and zoom out from that so that that looks like a point, and zoom out so that that has more clusters of clusters of big bangs and that would continue infinitely, which means all we'd need to do to prove this is send a probe a very very long distance and back...

...so if you think 14 billion light years is a lot, wait until you see how far away the next universe is.

...I don't know if this belongs in speculation because it's sort of the question, and the question is "is this a legitimate theory?"

There are a lot of multiverse speculations - as far as I know, none of them rise to the level of a "legitimate theory". A valid theory must be testable in some way. You propose sending a probe "a very long distance and back". What do you consider "a very long distance" and how many millions of years are you willing to wait for it to return? (Andromeda - the closest spiral galaxy to the Milky Way - is about 2.5 million light years away)

BTW - The current co-moving distance to the edge of our observable universe is about 46 billion light years.

Chris

There are a lot of multiverse speculations - as far as I know, none of them rise to the level of a "legitimate theory". A valid theory must be testable in some way. You propose sending a probe "a very long distance and back". What do you consider "a very long distance" and how many millions of years are you willing to wait for it to return? (Andromeda - the closest spiral galaxy to the Milky Way - is about 2.5 million light years away)

BTW - The current co-moving distance to the edge of our observable universe is about 46 billion light years.

Chris

Now the universe is 46 billion light years big? Why don't they just say they don't know instead of changing it all the time? They are always goign to find weaker and weaker sources of light, why bother saying there's a precise size?

I was kind of thinking this theory was more legitimate because it actually has the potential to be tested at all. In all the other universe theories there's some kind of parallel super-position that we can never touch, or we have to use a wormhole, or they are in some other dimension and we can't get out of this because space just folds back in on itself. At least in this all you need to do is travel distance, although I guess, how would you know when you've hit another universe if it would look like all the same matter we already see? Maybe there were already multiple big bangs which is why you can't trace everything back to the same point, you can only trace everything back to a denser and hotter state.

Edited by questionposter

about the shape of the universe ... when you start out, like on Earth's surface, it's a big cluster of stuff, then you zoom out, and it's a point, then you zoom out, and it's a cluster of solar systems, ... [etc]

The gravitational effect of mass causes this phenomenon, reminiscent of the recursive curvature/meandering of running surface water (rivulets, streams, rivers, etc) at various scales.

Now the universe is 46 billion light years big? Why don't they just say they don't know instead of changing it all the time? They are always goign to find weaker and weaker sources of light, why bother saying there's a precise size?

I don't think you understand what the thing that we refer to as the observable universe actually is. It is not the 13.7 billion year light travel time since the big bang. You may want to read up on this concept in the Wikipedia article here:

http://en.wikipedia....rvable_universe

Chris

The gravitational effect of mass causes this phenomenon, reminiscent of the recursive curvature/meandering of running surface water (rivulets, streams, rivers, etc) at various scales.

So what?

I don't think you understand what the thing that we refer to as the observable universe actually is. It is not the 13.7 billion year light travel time since the big bang. You may want to read up on this concept in the Wikipedia article here:

http://en.wikipedia....rvable_universe

Chris

Great, now their saying the observable universe is 93 billion light years.

Edited by questionposter