An Introduction to Carbon Nanotubes

Fogo

Hi everyone,

I joined recently and I'd like to share some things I've written with you. I think they might be of interest to some people.

This is a presentation on carbon nanotubes that I made three years ago. They are fascinating things. The presentation should suffice to give a good overview of nanotubes. If you want to make any corrections, comments, or additions just tell me and I'll make some changes. Three years ago I asked to visit the Cambridge nanotube lab but the professor was away at conferences - I might ask again sometime soon :)

The best way to view the presentation is to start the slide show from the beginning and click through it (rather than reading it in the editing mode because some of the pictures overlap and there are videos).

Here it is: CARBON NANOTUBES2X.pptx

Also, here's the thread for my more recent Quantum Entanglement report: http://www.sciencefo...m-entanglement/

And here's the thread for my more recent investigation into Joukowski Aerofoils: http://www.sciencefo...-investigation/

Edited by Fogo

Hi everyone,

I joined recently and I'd like to share some things I've written with you. I think they might be of interest to some people.

This is a presentation on carbon nanotubes that I made three years ago. They are fascinating things. The presentation should suffice to give a good overview of nanotubes. If you want to make any corrections, comments, or additions just tell me and I'll make some changes. Three years ago I asked to visit the Cambridge nanotube lab but the professor was away at conferences - I might ask again sometime soon :)

The best way to view the presentation is to start the slide show from the beginning and click through it (rather than reading it in the editing mode because some of the pictures overlap and there are videos).

Here it is: CARBON NANOTUBES2X.pptx

Also, here's the thread for my more recent Quantum Entanglement report: http://www.sciencefo...m-entanglement/

And here's the thread for my more recent investigation into Joukowski Aerofoils: http://www.sciencefo...-investigation/

Actually carbon nano-tubes seem to remind me of those other materials like that tough synthetic material (I think Kevlar) and spider-silk, since all of those have better tensile strength than steel and are still flexible and strong. But nano-tubes seem to also have potential as an enzyme or at least carrier for other ions when I look at all the surface area they have, like how hemoglobin carries oxygen and how all those proteins in DNA wrap up in small spaces and still produce all these chemicals.

It seems like all the newest chemicals being created are more and more like natural chemicals and processes, but they aren't quite as efficient by themselves. It's honestly very efficient to have a battery you can just charge and release and still retain all the molecules for and hook up the same way every time (ATP) and it even allows energy to be stored over time. This is something that's harder for even the latest technology in electric cars. If they had a large supply of a chemical that could just absorb some sunlight and retain that higher energy level, then just add something like water as a catalyst to release that energy it took form the sun but over time, it would solve it. I think carbon nano-tubes are along those lines of taking us into the future. In fact I think they are already being used for electronics since silicon switches can't be too close to each other because of the uncertainty principal with electrons which will cause them to leak out, so they are trying to make conductors of electricity with more surface area without bringing them closer together.

Edited by questionposter