Crossing Plants ! Can it be done ?

Hal.

Keep in mind I've never been to hot on botany, but if I remember correctly plants can hybridize much like animal hybrids. The difference is plants, much of the time, will still be able to reproduce. They can do this fairly easily in part because they can self pollinate and create a whole new species of fertile hybrids. It is somewhat like if a mule was fertile and could mate with itself to produce fertile offspring. There are other ways for them to hybridize but for the life of me I can't remember them.

Keep in mind that I'm not very good on botany topics so this explanation may not be a great one, but hopefully you get the idea.

I don't know anything about this sort of thing , unless what I do know is applicable . I had heard that tomato plants can be grown indoors but they need the wind to spread whatever it is they spread , so would you think two different types of tomato plants left near to each other in the wind might create something new in the seeds in the fruit in a generation or two ?

Maybe. Like I said, I'm not very good with botany; most of what I know comes from my academic advisor, who is a botanist, that wants to tell me all about plants in every situation. But I would assume that it is very possible for tomato plants to hybridize with each other fairly easily. How many generation would it take for them to do so I haven't the faintest. But you could always do it yourself. Here's a guide.

Thanks Ringer , interesting reading and it's skillful , sometimes trying to understand information from a book is difficult so , grow a few things , you will realise how a lot of information is then applicable .