Chemical Reaction Question

DIM TIM

I just recently noticed a post on a forum board that covers DIY topics for people that live the self sufficient lifestyle that many of our great-grandfathers lived over 100 years ago ( I love to tinker with old ways as a hobby). It was on the subject of white wash paint, and the chemical make-up of it. I found it rather interesting, and thought provoking as well.

As I went back into the main page for the forum sub-topics, I noticed one on Oxygen Absorbers. Now I know what some of you may be thinking, and yes...they did not use these things back then. The topic was for making DIY oxygen absorbers to add to stored grains and other perishable staples in sealed jars, buckets, etc, to extend the shelf life of these pantry stock ingredients that are stored for long term.

It sounds rather simple to do, just simple rusty,iron filings, salt, a paper envelope to hold the material, and a few drops of water to help in the activation process. Placed into the container, it was mentioned by the person that posted it, that the moisture contained in wheat ( particular grain mentioned for reference) was sufficient to keep the process going till all the oxygen was absorbed for adequate long term storage.

I am not a chemist, but found this post rather intriguing. So what say you chemists ? Will this really work as well the commercial O2 absorbers that these people buy to store their grains long term? It seems sound in theory and principle for what little I know about certain chemical reactions, but as I said, I'm not a chemist, so I really don't know for sure.

Edited by DIM TIM