low tech cyber security

it seems to me with new threats of hacking from almost every angle aimed at every conceivable weak point,

wouldn't it be simpler to remove our most sensitive information from servers connected to the internet?

wouldn't it be simpler to remove our infrastructure controls from CPU's connected to the web?

i understand the convenience of having these systems networked, but wouldn't it profit us to use only local networks for systems

that are subject to remote control?

i also understand that im not the first guy to come up with this idea.

does anybody have any idea as to what degree in what areas this idea has already been implemented (im hoping , that most

of our defense contractors and the pentagon already figured this out)

i just prefer my sabotage, and espionage to be of the "mission impossible , drop through the air duct on rope through lasers" variety, as opposed to the "were a bunch of anonymous douchebags" type.

thanks for any replies

np

That's generally the best practice for systems that need to be secure. You make an "air gap" between the data and the rest of the world, so it cannot leak out or be attacked.

Unfortunately most companies and computer users do not follow best practices. If they did, most attacks would never happen.

That's generally the best practice for systems that need to be secure. You make an "air gap" between the data and the rest of the world, so it cannot leak out or be attacked.

Unfortunately most companies and computer users do not follow best practices. If they did, most attacks would never happen.

thanks for your reply,

i figured it would be painfully obvious,

my concern is that in recent weeks, the pentagon has declared that certain cyber attacks could be construed as acts of war,

but if people could steal anything worth going to war over, then it would be our own fault for making that info available.

and the submission of info that sensitive into public servers would constitute some sort of dereliction of duty to begin with,

meaning our government basically invited the intrusion, and failed to keep us safe

An example(your post may have been invoked by this) is the recent attack on Sony. About 77 million users' information was compromised. The 'information' is composed of your registration address, phone number, full name, passwords, and aside from those, Sony has stated that there was a possibility that credit card information was compromised too. Sony believed that they were safe, but all it took was a few simple(for some) server injections. One major thing that they could have and should have done to prevent this is encrypt all the information. What kind of major system leaves the user data(especially the credit cards) in plain sight. dry.gif