Long-term effects of electrocution

In 1982 I came in contact with 17,000 Volts of electricity and was oxygen deprived for an extended period. Now years later I am starting to have issues with memory to the point where it is affecting me on a regular basis where I in developing issues that affect my ability to recall conversations with friends and have even gotten the name of my dog that I have had for 11 years, and has also affected my ability dealing with was once simple work-related task in designing addressing and assignments for computer networks. For the most part my doctor has ruled out Alzheimer's, and other psychological conditions so as with Occam's razor I am being drawn to the conclusion that these issues possibly stem from the long-term effects of the electrocution and oxygen deprivation?

In addition to the memory issues, over the past year I have been struggling with not being able to sleep as my mind will race from one inconsequential thought to another.

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

KEJ

kej, it's not a stretch to say that it's certainly very possible that your accident is related to the sorts of cognitive difficulties you're struggling with right now. The connection between hypoxic episodes and later cognitive difficulties is well-studied and well-known. But that's a pretty wishy-washy statement. Since you're trying to think parsimoniously (thanks Mr. Occam), another general diagnostic principle to keep in mind is "acute onset, proximate cause." While it's not impossible that time is going to pass before the physiological or psychological effects of some injury or disease state are going to be visible, usually, of course, when you feel something suddenly, the cause is pretty recent. I'll admit that the idea that the deficits you describe are connected to an accident in 1982 is unusual-sounding. It should not come as a surprise (or for that matter, insult) to you that clinicians may be interested in emotional causes, since difficulty concentrating and sleep-initiation insomnia are both commonly results of depression, anxiety, or other mood states that might be reactive to stressful life events.

Again, though, it's far from impossible that they're connected, even across such a large span of time. It's plausible that your electrical accident "set you back" somewhat--subtracted a few points from your cognitive budget, if you will--to an extent that did not dip you below a noticeable threshold at the time. Now, normal age-related cognitive decline (I don't know how old you are, but that decline starts to become measurable even at 30 or so) has brought you to a threshold where it's noticeable, earlier than it would have if not for your accident. Or, some other unknown disease state or condition is exacerbating a lasting, previously unseen "scar"-like effect of your accident.

Bottom line, if you really want a better idea of what's up, I'd suggest that you see someone for neuropsychological testing. Find a PhD-level psychologist in your area who is trained to administer a full neuropsych testing battery (your physician may or may not know of a psychologist to refer you to; physicians themselves don't really do these, and by and large, psychiatrists don't do them either). It'll take most of a day, and it isn't always cheap, but it's going to be the gold standard diagnostic device to help you understand what your specific deficits are, and, given the pattern of those deficits, suggest a possible cause as well as possible management or treatment strategies. Some sort of neuroimaging may also eventually be indicated, but that is likely going to be between you and your physician--possibly with the recommendations of a testing report from the assessing psychologist. Good luck.

You don't say how old you are, which could be important in suggesting other possible diagnoses. The fact that you complain of racing thoughts keeping you awake suggests there might be some emotional issues that are also disturbing your thought processes. Falling asleep and staying asleep require a lot of positive activity from a healthy nervous system, so there may be some sort of background neuropathy operative in your case. Keep in mind that many brain/neurological issues don't have their ultimate cause in the nervous system, but instead in apparently unrelated medical problems, such as metabolic disturbances altering body chemistry, which then in turn has a neurological impact. Obviously only a clinical exam can settle all these issues.

• 2 months later...

In 1982 I came in contact with 17,000 Volts of electricity and was oxygen deprived for an extended period. Now years later I am starting to have issues with memory to the point where it is affecting me on a regular basis where I in developing issues that affect my ability to recall conversations with friends and have even gotten the name of my dog that I have had for 11 years, and has also affected my ability dealing with was once simple work-related task in designing addressing and assignments for computer networks. For the most part my doctor has ruled out Alzheimer's, and other psychological conditions so as with Occam's razor I am being drawn to the conclusion that these issues possibly stem from the long-term effects of the electrocution and oxygen deprivation?

In addition to the memory issues, over the past year I have been struggling with not being able to sleep as my mind will race from one inconsequential thought to another.

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

KEJ

High CO2 levels in your home and vehicle can cause those symptoms. I picked up an Exectec CO2 meter, best 400 bucks I ever spent.

Vehicles with a recirculate setting, I learned, do not bring in ANY air at all from outside, so on long commutes CO2 levels in my truck were hitting 1500 to 2000 ppm, but typically won't cause many issues in most, head aches, anxiety, anger. Note: I can easily tell when CO2 hits 600 PPM.

In your residence, newer structures NEED fresh air from outside they're just too air tight, compiled with what ever else you live with, carpeting, drapes, furniture, plywood, particle board, and little fresh air from outside, took days to clear my head sometimes. To make matters worse, I have a natural gas cook top and no outside vent, just the grease trap vent, so just cooking a pot of spaghetti, I learned, would spike the CO2 meter into the 3k ppm in less than an hour.

Symptoms:

Memory issues

Head aches

Exhausted but can't sleep

Hip joint pain and radiating pain in femurs when laying in bed more than 2 or 3 hours

Wake up with racing heart, sweating, palpitations

I created a fresh air input from an old computer rack fan, filter outside air with a big allergy filter for an HVAC, more area = less resistance, resolved the heavier symptoms in 15 minutes, everything else was prefect in 2 days.

A couple other tricks, pure O2 works to clear you head quick but note the safety hazards that come with it, and a great short term trick I learned for taking certification tests: Vassopressin nasal spray, not sure why and I didn't get the script for what it's intended but I'm talking INSTANT clarity.