Mitosis & Meiosis ?

I was wondering if the difference between mitosis and meiosis is where meiosis creates haploid gametes constantly from other cells by changing them into haploid for that gender and mitosis is really just the addition of the other set of sex chromosomes and dividing them into what we have...

I was wondering if the difference between mitosis and meiosis is where meiosis creates haploid gametes constantly from other cells by changing them into haploid for that gender and mitosis is really just the addition of the other set of sex chromosomes and dividing them into what we have...

What do you mean by 'other cells' ?

Simply said, Mitosis does maintains the ploidy in cell division whereas meiosis halves the ploidy. The processes are a little different where meiosis involves mitosis in later stages.

• 1 month later...

I don't like to be a implement of support you should do your own research on it, but this is what I know.

Mitosis is the conservation of ploidy as stated by Amitash and it has 6 phases. There is way more detail, but I don't think its all worth typing for a forum.

Prophase - the phase where the chromosomes condense, nuclear envelope starts to desolve, and the centromere move to opposite poles.

Prometaphase - the phase where nuclear envelope desolves and the mitotic spindles form (attaching microtubules to the kinetochores, position microtubules in the polar regions, and position microtubules in astral reagions).

Metaphase- The sister chromatids line up in the center of the cell and get ready for anaphase (should be 46 sister chomatids (chromosomes) lined up)

Anaphase - centromere divide on the sister chromatids and the sister chromatids are then seperated

Telophase - Nuclear envelope reforms, spindle dissolves, and chromosomes uncoil

Cytokinesis - the cell membrane segregates and the nuclei separate into daughter cells

Meiosis is the halfing of ploidy again stated beautifully by Amitash and is a 2 stage, 12 phase, and has a 5 step process

Prophase I - the phase where the chromosomes condense, nuclear envelope starts to desolve, cross-over occurs, and the centromere move to opposite poles. (summary)

Leptotene - the chromosomes thicken but chromatids are invisible centrosomes move to opposite poles

Zygotene - Homologous chromosomes pair (IMPORTANT POINT) and synaptonemal complex forms

Pachytene - synaptonemal complex is complete and cross-over takes place (IMPORTANT POINT)

Dipotene - Synaptonemal complex starts to disolve and depending on the organism the cell may arrest for later use (reproductive or germ cells)

Diakinesis - the nuclear membrane begins to disolve and spindles form

Prometaphase - the phase where nuclear envelope desolves and the mitotic spindles form (attaching microtubules to the kinetochores, position microtubules in the polar regions, and position microtubules in astral reagions).

Metaphase I - The sister chromatids line up in the center of the cell and get ready for anaphase (should be 23 homologous chromosome pairs lined up)

Anaphase I - centromere on the sister chromatids does not divide and the homologues are then seperated

Telophase I - Nuclear envelope reforms, spindle dissolves, and chromosomes do not uncoil

Cytokinesis I - the cell membrane segregates and the nuclei separate into genetically different daughter cells

Prophase II- the phase where the chromosomes condense, nuclear envelope starts to desolve, and the centromere move to opposite poles.

Prometaphase II- the phase where nuclear envelope desolves and the mitotic spindles form (attaching microtubules to the kinetochores, position microtubules in the polar regions, and position microtubules in astral reagions).

Metaphase II- The sister chromatids line up in the center of the cell and get ready for anaphase (should be 23 sister chomatids (chromosomes) lined up)

Anaphase II - centromere divide on the sister chromatids and the sister chromatids are then seperated

Telophase II - Nuclear envelope reforms, spindle dissolves, and chromosomes uncoil

Cytokinesis II - the cell membrane segregates and the nuclei separate into daughter cells

That should be some of the basics. I might be off son somethings so look it up. From Genes to Genome is a good book to start.