Hydrogen Engine

mattpbarry

For a Science Expo project I will be converting a small engine to run off hydrogen. I have in mind a cheap four stroke water pump. My father said he is willing to let us use this one but we may just buy a new, smaller engine (about ZAR 350). I have done some research and have come across a number of concerns I would need help with.

Firstly there is the issue of fuel delivery. I assume the carburetor in the motor uses a float valve and will therefore not work with a gaseous fuel. Is this a major concern? What do LPG engines use? I have heard about spark plug fuel injectors but I don't know if anybody makes the commercially. I want to do minimal damage to the engine so drilling new holes for direct fuel injectors is out of the question. What should I use? Also is pressure a major concern as well? Would a regulator have to be fitted? Obviously things such as non-return valves and flame retardants would have to be used.

Secondly is the fuel tank. My school is willing to supply us with some hydrogen but obviously we cannot take their entire tank (which is quiet large) to the expo venue or home. So would it be possible on a small engine to use a balloon or a soda bottle as a fuel tank. We could do it in a network (i.e. multiple bottles) to increase storage if necessary but obviously pressure would become a problem. The fuel consumption on our engine is given as 417.1g/kWh for petrol. I don't know what the fuel consumption would be with hydrogen.

Finally engine timing. What would the ideal engine timing for hydrogen?

Any help/references would be most appreciated. Please feel free to raise any concerns you may have. Thanks.