Technological Singularity

Emily Ross

I am new to this forum and am wondering if anyone here is familiar with the concept of the technological singularity?

"A technological singularity is a hypothetical event occurring when technological progress becomes so rapid and the growth of artificial intelligence is so great that the future after the singularity become qualitatively different and harder to predict"

I am new to this forum and am wondering if anyone here is familiar with the concept of the technological singularity?

"A technological singularity is a hypothetical event occurring when technological progress becomes so rapid and the growth of artificial intelligence is so great that the future after the singularity become qualitatively different and harder to predict"

Yup. See:

What Can Be Done To Protect Us From the Dangers of the Technological Singularity

and

The Technological Singularity: all but inevitable?

What aspect(s) of the concept interest you? =^_^=

Thanks Jill! I'll check them out!

Pretty much every aspect interests me! Especially the culture of Transhumanism. But also philosophy of mind as it relates to AI. And I am interested in what happens after the Singularity when we colonize space.

Edited by Emily Ross

Thanks Jill! I'll check them out!

Pretty much every aspect interests me! Especially the culture of Transhumanism. But also philosophy of mind as it relates to AI. And I am interested in what happens after the Singularity when we colonize space.

I was unaware there was a culture around transhumanism. (Seems early to me =^_^=)

You may also be interested in posts in the Medical Science/Psychiatry & Psychology forum, there's a few threads discussing the Difficult Problem of Consciousness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extropianism thats a pretty good read relating to transhumanism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VLSI_Project this is a good read relating to AI and HCI (essentially uses computers to make computer more advanced)

as far as the actual singularity goes i think its a bit of a conspiracy, especially considering the AI we can currently program is very hardware dependent so we would probably have to scale IC's down a few more times before any great breakthroughs are made, however AI is a very tough philosophical subject and has no real answers yet so lets wait and see.