What is the definition of 'nitrogen removal'?

Can somebody tell me what the scientific definition of the term 'nitrogen removal' is? It is something in the context of nitrification, ammonia oxidation, etc. I really need this question answered, because my exam is on Saturday and I've already read a half-dozen articles, none of them had an actual "nitrogen removal is defined as..." section, and I'm about ready to kick something.

Also, if anyone, and I mean anyone can tell me why there is speculation that marine group I crenarchaeota share similar biogeochemical roles with planctomycetes, I would be even more grateful.

Edited by Fanghur

Nitrogen removal is the removal of nitrogen. You really need to give more information.

Nitrogen removal is probably denitrificationwhich happens in waste water treatment plants.

But it can also be any of the following:

- A process where nitrogen is removed from natural gas (also called nitrogen rejection).

- A process where nitrogen is removed from crude oil in a refinery (often similar to sulphur removal - and often in the same reactor). This one is not very likely in your case, since nitrogen is not present as ammonia, but ammonia is formed instead.

- A De-NOx installation (1, 2), removing nitrous oxides from exhaust gases. Also no ammonia.

- Any other process where nitrogen is removed.

Take your pick. Probably either the 1st or the 2nd. Waste water treatment or natural gas treatment.

Edited by CaptainPanic