Getting started on a science career

jamiestem

I'm interested in astronomy and planet formation. What would be my best course of action to pursue a career in that area of science? I understand that college might be a good first step, but that's not always the case. I know there are many ways to get from point A to point B.

and.....I'm 34, if college was the first step, are their ways to get scholarships in the science field? I know these are broad questions, but I have a passion for this and I think I should pursue it seriously.

I'm interested in astronomy and planet formation. What would be my best course of action to pursue a career in that area of science? I understand that college might be a good first step, but that's not always the case. I know there are many ways to get from point A to point B.

and.....I'm 34, if college was the first step, are their ways to get scholarships in the science field? I know these are broad questions, but I have a passion for this and I think I should pursue it seriously.

If you are interested in science at any level beyond being a technician assisting a scientist, a college degree is essential. At the research level a PhD is the norm.

There are lots of scholarships and other financial aid available to qualified students.

34 is pretty late to be starting out, but not unheard of. A very good friend received a PhD about a year ago. He was just shy of 60 at the time.

If anyone has any information about scholarship programs for late bloomers let me know!

Many schools have special adult education programs. Your best bet is to set up an appointment with an admissions counselor or adviser at schools you are interested in. Call or browse the website of the school you are interested in.

Edited by Bignose

• 3 weeks later...

Its never too late to switch your interests and career. However make sure that you have opportunity in the area of your interests. The opportunities may vary from geographical locations, research funding, country, and sectors. I would recommend talk to people who are in this area. You may post on different forums and networking sites. www.researchersworldwide.com is a good place to start. Although its a new site, but you may get answers from some members. Goodluck!