Computer Organization, Computer Design, and Computer Architecture

Psycho1990

Computer Organization, Computer Design, and Computer Architecture; can you tell me the difference between them with examples?

I'll quote my book for it's explanation of the three terms, which I don't understand.

Computer organization is concerned with the way the hardware components operate and the way they are connected together to form the computer system. The various components are assumed to be in place and the task is to investigate the organizational structure to verify that the computer parts operate as intended.

What are these hardware components? What are some different computer organizations?

Computer design is concerned with the hardware design of the computer. Once the computer specifications are formulated, it is the task of the designer to develop hardware for the system. Computer design is concerned with the determination of what hardware should be used and how the parts should be connected. This aspect of computer hardware is sometimes referred to as computer implementation.

Is the specification like x86, and the design like Pentium 4?

What are some example hardwares?

Computer architecture is concerned with the structure and behavior of the computer as seen by the user. It includes the information formats, the instruction set, and techniques for addressing memory. The architectural design of a computer system is concerned with the specifications of the various functional modules, such as processors and memories, and structuring them together into a computer system.

I think these definitions are best elaborated on in the context of the material you are reading. I think to properly gain insight into what it is that is trying to be said here will only fully be appreciated when you revise all the material that the author has presented. I say this because they are not really terms that have tightly bound interpretations and the the terms used within the definitions are also open to much interpretations.

What I will say here is that you must take a step back and look at the broader scope. Not all processors are Pentium, not all computers are neatly packaged in a pretty case that sits next to your desk. It isn't even sufficient here to elaborate by including the varieties of computing solutions that we are now accustomed to like laptops and cell phones as these definitions had implications before these technologies were even practical. What many overlook when regarding computing solutions are those solutions many never see.

If you introduce industrial applications into your review of these definitions you might begin to see a need for the separation and how each becomes a task needing to be defined in this manner. If you begin to include such systems that incorporate micro-controller technology, programmable logic circuits, embedded systems and so on each of these categories becomes a little clearer because the answers to each question becomes less cut and dry, and yet each incorporates an idea that is common throughout.