Advantages of Thunderbird

Cap'n Refsmmat

It handles IMAP properly and has a lovely folder column thingy.

And of course it uses extensions. And it's secure.

We all knew that it would be more secure. But how good is its spam filter? And is it buggy? What makes Outlook so bad compared to it? (apart from security)

Spam filter is great, it can also learn what makes junk mail junk as you mark things "spam" and "not spam".

It is not buggy in the least.

Outlook is poor by comparison because it is crammed with features that a mail client doesn't need, but lacking features that you'd expect to be associated with an application that is primarily for organising mail.

However if you do need the integrated calendar-contacts-to do list etc, Thunderbird isn't the best way to go because it is only for mail.

Okay, good, and some more questions:

What features does it have that are useful? What does features does it need that you CAN'T get an extension for?

What makes it more secure?

How quick is it to start?

Is it easily configurable and easy to figure out how to use?

Can you make mail rules to filter out those dumb chain letters and such? (i.e. people who you do not want to put on the "spam" list because they send useful stuff, but also send chain letters you don't want)

What sort of extensions are essential?

(sorry to grill you like this, it's just that outlook stinks. Every time I start it up it gives me a runtime error and I have to try again, and then it works...)

Fine with me... now I need to see if my stupid firewall will let it through and what everyone else here will say.

Anyone know why Outlook gives me a "C++ Runtime error: the program asked to terminate in an unusual way" or something like that the first time I try to run it every day? (in case I have to live with it)

looking in google, cap'ns problem may seem to be something to do with norton.

source: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=Outlook+C%2B%2B+Runtime+error%3A+the+program+asked+to+terminate+in+an+unusual+way

top two links

when a problem such as that occurs, the best bet is to re-install the program and give it all the access rights it wants.

i didnt fully read the links, though have now. all the same, i do have several accounts [norton + outlook + on the actual computer] and do have norton anti-spam... one sec...... is norton anti-spam the same thing as spam-alert [in norton internet security professional 2003]?

I've switched! Yay!

Except now Norton Anti-Spam (which I don't need anymore) keeps flagging emails as spam that aren't spam and I can't configure it for Thunderbird. At least it doesn't move them to another folder... so it's really just a matter of looks, seeing the [Norton AntiSpam] thing in front of the title all the time.

cant you just disable anti-spam or something?

i really never get it, unless it is a very frequent and bad problem, there is no real NEED for it and it cuases you all of these problems, just disable it.