Formatting an external drive

Baby Astronaut

I just got a brand new Seagate 500GB external drive. It came bundled with stuff I didn't want, so I formatted the drive.

And that's something I'm not used to as it's my first time attempting it. So I probably screwed up.

The first thing I did is to right-click on the drive letter and select "Format". I guessed XP would determine the best option, and since "NTFS" was highlighted I clicked that.

So after forever, the drive's clear of everything and so I start moving files over. No problem. Then when I go to delete or move some of those files later on, I get an error. Seems all folders were given a "read-only" attribute. I try unchecking those, but I'm denied access.

According to Microsoft, you're supposed to claim ownership of a folder with that problem. But since I can't understand their directions, I'm just going to reformat. It'll be much quicker than the days or weeks I'll spend figuring out directions by technically-minded people. Also, what if claiming ownership of folders on an external drive makes the same problem for transfer to other computers? No thanks. I'd rather not have anything Microsoft "fixing" the drive.

Here's what I really need to know.

An article at the pendriveapps website mentions that anything on a Fat32 drive is transferable between Linux, Mac, and Windows. If true, it's my best option anyway because I do have a user-friendly Linux named Mint on another desktop, and probably will get a cheap older MAC later on.

I clicked on a their link to an article for a tiny program named Fat32 Format (72KB). Supposedly it will allow a Fat32 on a drive over the 32GB limit imposed by Windows.

Because of the compatibility of files on a Fat32 with other systems, I'm guessing there won't be an issue like the one I had with the transferred files.

However, because of my screw-up earlier in the day, I'd like to run it by computer heads before proceeding. And maybe someone can lay out directions step-by-step to format a drive in case I'm not doing it correctly.

Thank you in advance.

Edited by Baby Astronaut

Now I see the reason for your other question. Format it as NTFS, Linux can read write NTFS and mac can read it. Just know that Linux ext3 filesystem cannot be read/write accessed by Windows because Microsoft is not interested in such things for their own reasons.

Format it as NTFS, Linux can read write NTFS and mac can read it.

Here's the deal, formatting it as NTFS created the problem. Or at least with XP Professional it did (Service Pack 3). Or maybe I did the format wrong -- although I simply right-clicked on the external drive's letter and selected the default choice: NTFS.

Formatting FAT32 on a large disk is probably not a good idea, as FAT32 doesn't handle large disks very well. (It was designed in the days when 2GB was big.)

Reformatting will likely cause the same problems. You need to do something like this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308419

See the instructions under "Set, view, change, or remove special permissions for files and folders". You want to make sure the "Permissions" box has granted you the "Write Attributes" permission, although you should just grant yourself everything, really.

Thank you, Cap'n.

From the Microsoft website...

This article assumes that you are using Windows XP on a domain. By default, simplified sharing is enabled in Windows XP if you are not connected to a domain

How can I tell if XP is on a domain? (No idea what that is)

1) I just connected the external USB drive to a Linux, and when I opened it, a hidden folder is visible: System Volume Information.

Wondering if deleting that folder will undo the Microsoft permissions crap.

2) Right-clicking on the USB drive lets you format it, and clicking to do so gives these options...

Compatible with all systems (FAT)

Compatible with Linux (ext2)

Compatible with Linux (ext4)

So, since there are no more options given except a button that leads to advanced formatting stuff, I'm left with the impression that FAT is the standard in such cases. Else, why does the pendrivelinux website give specific advice to format a larger USB drive with FAT32?

I didn't see an option to specify FAT32, but maybe it's there once you select FAT and proceed to the next step (which I haven't yet).

Use the Disk Utility supplied by the Linux distribution, it could very well have an NTFS formatting option. It is highly unlogical to format it as FAT32 and ext2/4 will not be visible to a Windows based PC ... If you want to play around though it isn't like you will do any permanent damage to the drive if you format it in any which way, so really have fun, play.

Your permission issue will probably not be resolved by deleting that folder and as to why precisely you have the issue I'm not sure. I kind of remember once having had an issue like this but I resolved it pretty quickly. I'm sure if you actively search for your answer that you will find it. Very few hardware problems cannot be resolved in this manner. I would really just upgrade to Windows 7 if you can.

How can I tell if XP is on a domain? (No idea what that is)

It's definitely not, in your case. Domains refer to an XP install in a large corporate network, where logins are managed by a central server. If it's your personal PC, it's not in a domain. There's instructions on how to get the Security tab visible later in the article.

1) I just connected the external USB drive to a Linux, and when I opened it, a hidden folder is visible: System Volume Information.

Wondering if deleting that folder will undo the Microsoft permissions crap.

Probably not.

2) Right-clicking on the USB drive lets you format it, and clicking to do so gives these options...

Compatible with all systems (FAT)

Compatible with Linux (ext2)

Compatible with Linux (ext4)

So, since there are no more options given except a button that leads to advanced formatting stuff, I'm left with the impression that FAT is the standard in such cases. Else, why does the pendrivelinux website give specific advice to format a larger USB drive with FAT32?

I didn't see an option to specify FAT32, but maybe it's there once you select FAT and proceed to the next step (which I haven't yet).

FAT32 is usually assumed, so FAT=FAT32 in this case. However, as I said, FAT32 is inefficient with larger disks.

Do you intend to use this drive under both Linux and Windows? If so, FAT may be a good choice, even if it's less efficient; NTFS can be problematic under Linux.

It's definitely not, in your case. Domains refer to an XP install in a large corporate network, where logins are managed by a central server. If it's your personal PC, it's not in a domain. There's instructions on how to get the Security tab visible later in the article.

Ok thanks, I'll check it out again.

Do you intend to use this drive under both Linux and Windows?

Yes, and possibly a Mac notebook when I get one. I'd like to be able to transfer whatever between all three kinds of computer, as I'm able to do right now with my 2GB USB thumb drive. However, the largest transfers are going to be from one Windows system to another (from 10 to 300 GB worth of data). That is, until I get comfortable enough with Linux that all I'll bother with is Linux.

I'll be trying out Linux Mint, which is supposed to be highly user-friendly. So we'll see. :)