Light and Wavelengths

rthomas3014

I am wondering if it is possible to convert UV light into the visible spectrum? If so, how can this be done? The reason I ask is because I am intrigued by the hubble telescope pictures that show pictures of the sun in the UV spectrum. Did they convert the UV light into visible light or is it through some other method that they were able to obtain these pictures?

They have sensors that detect UV light, just like it's possible to have infrared cameras or radio telescopes. The pictures you see were colored on a computer, since the ultraviolet images don't directly correspond to normal colors.

However, it is possible to convert UV into the visible spectrum. Fluorescent materials do this -- you shine UV light on them and they absorb it and emit visible light. There are also methods to turn infrared light into visible light by absorbing two infrared photons and emitting one visible photon with half the wavelength.