Many Worlds Interpretation

greenfred

Hello.

I put this in Quantum Theory instead of Speculations, which I hope is okay. I think it's plausible enough to belong here - but I bet all the nutters think that about their threads, don't they? :D

Anyway, I asked a question about something or other concerning aspects of the MWI, and no-one seemed to know what the hell I was going on about, which I'm sure must be a failure of understanding on my part.

(http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/55414-antimatter-in-the-multiverse/)

So here I invite you to tell me what your understanding of it is, as briefly or as fully as you'd like.

Thanks.

Further to Spyman - I would say that we might be more interested if you actually ask a question rather than merely inviting the forum to explain a complex, poorly understood, and not generally-accepted philosophical interpretation of QM.

No need to be like that about it. Unconstructively nasty isn’t the same as clever. I don't think that my interpretation is an unjustified overly philosophical one, but if it is, why not explain to me why?

Also, what's the point of this forum if not to answer/debate questions that you can't find in ya bog-standard text book. Hmmmm?

Further to Spyman - I would say that we might be more interested if you actually ask a question rather than merely inviting the forum to explain a complex, poorly understood, and not generally-accepted philosophical interpretation of QM.

I did ask a question. My question is 'what's your interpretation of the Many Worlds theory'?

No need to be like that about it. Unconstructively nasty isn’t the same as clever. I don't think that my interpretation is an unjustified overly philosophical one, but if it is, why not explain to me why?

Also, what's the point of this forum if not to answer/debate questions that you can't find in ya bog-standard text book. Hmmmm?

I am sorry but we are not trying to be nasty or clever.

If everyone creates threads randomly everywhere, then the forum would end up in total chaos. We are supposed to make ONE thread on the subject we want to discuss and IF the thread fails because of low interest or whatever, then you have to come up with a NEW approach. Creating another thread in a differnet subforum with a simple link and reference to the first one is not a good idea and won't result any better than the first.

My best advice to you is to focus on your first thread and answer swansont's questions instead.

Hello.

I put this in Quantum Theory instead of Speculations, which I hope is okay. I think it's plausible enough to belong here - but I bet all the nutters think that about their threads, don't they? :D

Anyway, I asked a question about something or other concerning aspects of the MWI, and no-one seemed to know what the hell I was going on about, which I'm sure must be a failure of understanding on my part.

(http://www.sciencefo...the-multiverse/)

So here I invite you to tell me what your understanding of it is, as briefly or as fully as you'd like.

Thanks.

One of the many worlds interpretations comes from the search for the Higgs Boson or Higgs field which the fermi lab and the Hadron Colider are trying to find. What they suspect is that gravity is weak because the other forces of nature only work in 3 dimensional space, which the Higgs Bosons go into either other dimensions or other universes and come into our universe as well. There's also some philosophical aspects of general quantum theory such as super position and probability fields which lead to all possible positions of matter happening simultaneously, but in a way so that there's universes for all possibilities.

ON top of all that, there's also the membrane theory which has something to do with strings or extra dimensions and says this universe exists as a membrane in an even greater space occupied by other membranes, which when they crash into each other form a "big bang", which to me sounds kind of ridiculous.

The the colliders generally do is collide different types of particles which I suppose can include anti matter if they handle it carefully.

And if the collider finds some predicted particles, it would be more than anti-matter that they will know about, because in dark matter too, they are predicted to have a sort of particle structure type which mirrors that of our own normal matter, but interacts with forces differently and more weakly which is how they explain it being not visible or tangible yet having a gravitational effect.

Edited by steevey