Bronsted - Lowry

hendra81

my question is;

some references state that when NaOH accept proton (H+) became Na+ and H2O and Na+ considered as conjugated acid but some other references state that H2O as conjugated base.

please answer my question

The acid is defined as the molecule or ion that is able to donate a proton, and it follows that if the proton is donated that there has to be a species that accepts the election which is called the base. So now have a look at your reaction and see which gains and which looses a proton.

acid + base 15px-Equilibrium.svg.png conjugate base + conjugate acid.

Edited by liambob1

Specifficaly this refers to a Bronsted acid (there are other tyoes of acids e.g. Lewis acids). A Bronstead acid is defined as a species that donates a proton while a Bronstead base is a species that accepts a proton.

But remember, once you have deprotonated your acid, it will become negatively charged and will therefore want to take a proton of somewhere (i.e. it is now behaving as a base). For example:

HCl- + H2O <==> Cl- + H3O+

Bronstead acid; Bronstead base; Conjugate base; Conjugate acid

Here, the HCl is acting as a baseacid...but once it have reacted with the water, the chloride ion left will them want to act as a base to move the equilibrium backwards. Essentially, the roles are reveresed.

Edited by Horza2002

I would explain that observation in a different manor. I would say that water is not a strong enough acid to protonate the carboxylate (i.e. the carboxylate is more stable than the resulting hydroxide ion would be).