T-test analysis

Marconis

We had to do a t-test analysis for a lab, and I am confused as to how to answer the question of significance in terms of null/alt hypothesis using confidence intervals.

We were to measure the height and weight of 7 males and 12 females in the lab. After doing so and collecting all the data, I got the following:

Confidence Intervals based on 95% certainty:

Male Height (Mean 174.786): +/- 5.28cm= 169.506cm - 180.066cm

Male Weight (Mean 78.143): +/- 20.339kg= 57.804kg - 98.482kg

Female Height (Mean 160.83): +/- 5.2426cm= 155.587cm - 166.0726cm

Female Weight (Mean 54.30): +/- 8.627kg= 45.672kg - 62.927kg

I calculated the CI by multiplying the SE by the confidence level.

Now, the question asks: Is there a significant difference between the height of males and females in this population of humans? and then the same for weight...

I am unsure how to answer this in terms of analysis with confidence intervals. Null hypothesis states that there is no difference between the mean values of populations 1 and 2, and alt. hypothesis states that the mean values are not equal and that the difference between them is statistically different. Can you give me hints as to how to answer this in terms of CI/t-test analysis?

Thank you very much, I appreciate it.

Edited by Marconis