Maths

free4spirit

Hey everyone,

My name is Anna and i live in Scotland, and am studying an introductory course with the Open University. This is my first time here! Got reccommended the site by a friend, as I have an assignment to do by tomorrow and am stuck on one particular maths question! If anyone has any pointers, or can possibly help explain this to me, it would be hugely appreciated!

Question : ©

One cubic metre (1 m3) of atmosphere at sea level contains 3.80 × 102 ppm of CO2 and 5.00 × 103 ppm of water vapour.

If there is a total of 2.6 × 1025 molecules in 1 m3 of air, calculate how many molecules of CO2 and water vapour there are in 1 m3 of air. Give your answers to the appropriate number of significant figures.

Any help would be fantastic! Hope youre all well too :)

Anna

Well the major hint is that ppm stands for parts per million.

So, if you have 3.80 x 102 ppm CO2 that means for every 106 (1 million) particles, 3.80 x 102 of them are CO2.

So the fraction of any volume of air which is CO2 will be [imath]\frac{3.80 \times 10^2}{10^6}[/imath]

Then if you want to find out how many molecules of CO2 are in any volume of air, you multiply the total number of molecules in that volume of air by your fraction.

You've been told 1m3 air contains 2.6 x 1025, so to find the number of CO2 molecules in 1m3 of air you do [imath]\frac{3.80 \times 10^2}{10^6} \times 2.6 \times 10^{25}[/imath]

Then you can go through the same procedure for H2O. Does that make sense?

It's a good idea to get your head around these sorts of calculations, you use them a lot in science.