Taser vs. microchip

writerchick

Hi everyone!

I have a science fiction story in which a dog has a GPS locator chip embedded under its skin, sort of like a Home Again or Avid chip. In one scene, the dog gets shot with what's basically a Taser. It was recently brought to my attention that the electrical current would likely destroy the chip. (Is that true?) Later in the story is a pivotal scene in which another character uses the chip to track the whereabouts of the dog. I don't want to cut the dog-shooting scene because it's fairly important from a character-revealing standpoint.

If the chip were instead attached to a leather collar, would that prevent it from being destroyed by the Taser?

Thanks!

An electrical current could destroy the chip but only if it passes through the chip. Electrically insulating the chip could make it easier for the current to pass through the dog's body (essentially like salt water) rather than through the chip. And the chip would need at least a little insulation for sure, otherwise it would get short circuited when placed in the dog.

I'm not really sure how plausible the scifi idea of frying electronics embedded in a body without killing the patient actually is. I guess it would depend on the chip and method used.

Hi everyone!

I have a science fiction story in which a dog has a GPS locator chip embedded under its skin, sort of like a Home Again or Avid chip. In one scene, the dog gets shot with what's basically a Taser. It was recently brought to my attention that the electrical current would likely destroy the chip. (Is that true?) Later in the story is a pivotal scene in which another character uses the chip to track the whereabouts of the dog. I don't want to cut the dog-shooting scene because it's fairly important from a character-revealing standpoint.

If the chip were instead attached to a leather collar, would that prevent it from being destroyed by the Taser?

Thanks!

Sounds like a question from someone in the business of stealing expensive dogs;)