cutting edge math theory

Athena

If you have Netflix check out the DVD "Independent Lens: Between the Lines.

"Filmmaker Vanessa Gould takes you on a provocative odyssey into the mesmerizing world of modern origami, where artist and scientests use the ancient art form to craft works of delicate beauty and to model cutting edge mathematical theoriesl Pushing the envelope to include caricatured portraits and elaborate abstract designs, these experts examine how paper folding can reveal the profound connention between art, science and philosophy."

This film is done by professors. Unfortunately, it goes over information too fast and does not give an in depth explanation of the math and physics, but if you are just getting into math, this show will be inspirational and make you want to know more.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by Athena

For some mathematical approaches to origami, modular origami, and other paper arts you could do worse than check out the pages of erik demaine or thomas hull - both academics in maths. Tom Hull designed the modular origami that I made and photographed for my photo to the right of this post. (technically it is five interlocking tetrahedra)

For some mathematical approaches to origami, modular origami, and other paper arts you could do worse than check out the pages of erik demaine or thomas hull - both academics in maths. Tom Hull designed the modular origami that I made and photographed for my photo to the right of this post. (technically it is five interlocking tetrahedra)

Thank you for those links. Have you ever tried to get math books from your local library? My local library does not have a good selection of math books. I will be using the links to access information and books.

How long have been doing origami and what do you hope to achieve?

Thank you for those links. Have you ever tried to get math books from your local library? My local library does not have a good selection of math books. I will be using the links to access information and books.

How long have been doing origami and what do you hope to achieve?

Luckily I have access to a university library - so I can access any maths books I need - I would dread to think how difficult it would be to get decent texts from a public library. I tend to work on these models from feeling and eye-measurement though - we are remarkably good at telling if an angle is 90deg or a triangle is equilateral etc, and too much trigonometry makes me think of school.

My elder brother bought me a book of mathematical models to cut out and construct for my 9th or 10th birthday - so I have been making papercraft for close to 30 years (Damn. Thats a horrible thought - 30 years!!!). My house, office and frankly everywhere I have ever been are dotted with polyhedra and origami made from anything from toilet paper to sheet metal. Modular Origami is a relatively new craze for me - I love the complexity from simplicity of modular origami and i am quite hooked. I spend a fair proportion of my day on the phone, and when I am not making comments on various fora like this one I am folding or cutting paper.

The amazing and beautiful curved folds on the erik demaine (ass prof at MIT in his 20s wow!) website are my latest pursuit - I am trying to work out a nice curved modular base to construct complicated models from, as yet with no good results

Luckily I have access to a university library - so I can access any maths books I need - I would dread to think how difficult it would be to get decent texts from a public library. I tend to work on these models from feeling and eye-measurement though - we are remarkably good at telling if an angle is 90deg or a triangle is equilateral etc, and too much trigonometry makes me think of school.

My elder brother bought me a book of mathematical models to cut out and construct for my 9th or 10th birthday - so I have been making papercraft for close to 30 years (Damn. Thats a horrible thought - 30 years!!!). My house, office and frankly everywhere I have ever been are dotted with polyhedra and origami made from anything from toilet paper to sheet metal. Modular Origami is a relatively new craze for me - I love the complexity from simplicity of modular origami and i am quite hooked. I spend a fair proportion of my day on the phone, and when I am not making comments on various fora like this one I am folding or cutting paper.

The amazing and beautiful curved folds on the erik demaine (ass prof at MIT in his 20s wow!) website are my latest pursuit - I am trying to work out a nice curved modular base to construct complicated models from, as yet with no good results

I am not understanding your words and wish you could draw what you are working on. I will try going to the site and see if I figure out what you are talking about.

I have this 1943 math book that has been reprinted many times, title "Mathematician's Delight", by W.W. Sayer. He explains we come to math through craftsmen and builders, who were just solving practical problems, but they didn't have theories to explain why what they were doing worked. It is said, it is the Greeks who worked out the theories. I think some of us can solve the problems, but we aren't good at theories. A theory is too abstract. Sayer stressed we must be able to see the problem. If not directly, than at least be able to picture it in our minds. From your words, I can't picture what you are talking about.

I am really new at this stuff. 40 years isn't so bad, and you have a lot of experience in those 40 years. I am past 60 and I wish were 12, and could build my life on a knowledge of math. I had no idea how fascinating math can be, and I feel like I missed the boat.

My Dad told me if I spent as much time thinking about science as I did thinking about the occult, I would benefit from that. But I am female and he didn't give me the direction he gave his son. I was told to get married and raise children, so I did, and we didn't have the Internet and the opportunity for learning we have today. Today anyone can get on the Internet and learn what s/he is missing. :D

How totally marvelous to see reality as folds, and have a sense of movement and relationships. Makes for much imore nteresting mental activity than speculating if the nieghbor is having an affair, or planning a birthday party for a 6 year old.

Edited by Athena

I am not understanding your words and wish you could draw what you are working on. I will try going to the site and see if I figure out what you are talking about.

If I could draw it - then I could probably construct it. I will try and explain - but I am not good at it; I see models , I can't vocalize them. If you look at the picture to the right of this post - my picture is a modular origami model. Modular origami is when you create one simple design for a folded piece of paper - and you can combine many of them to create a complex shape. The shape to the right is made from 60 rectangular pieces of paper - folded in straight lines. I am trying to make a module (ie the simple building block) that I can fit together to make more complicated shapes - BUT i am trying to make it from paper that is folded into curving shapes. I cannot manage it, I can barely visualise it, no wonder I cannot explain it.

Regarding the remainder of your post - you seem to be doing pretty well. Where are you based? I know many people in UK who have studied to degree/masters/doctoral level in their sixties and seventies. I think its harder to learn at our ages than when you are 18 - but that just makes it more of a challenge! I would whole-heartedly recommend evening/distance learning with a well respected university/

If I could draw it - then I could probably construct it. I will try and explain - but I am not good at it; I see models , I can't vocalize them. If you look at the picture to the right of this post - my picture is a modular origami model. Modular origami is when you create one simple design for a folded piece of paper - and you can combine many of them to create a complex shape. The shape to the right is made from 60 rectangular pieces of paper - folded in straight lines. I am trying to make a module (ie the simple building block) that I can fit together to make more complicated shapes - BUT i am trying to make it from paper that is folded into curving shapes. I cannot manage it, I can barely visualise it, no wonder I cannot explain it.

Regarding the remainder of your post - you seem to be doing pretty well. Where are you based? I know many people in UK who have studied to degree/masters/doctoral level in their sixties and seventies. I think its harder to learn at our ages than when you are 18 - but that just makes it more of a challenge! I would whole-heartedly recommend evening/distance learning with a well respected university/

Hum how rounded are your curved lines? Does the piece have to form a circle or can it be open? What if the curved line is pleated and flexible?

I bought a grandchild C shaped plastic pieces with three evenly spaced dips on each, and they can be put together in interesting shapes. I am keeping an eye out for such toys, but they are not found in regular stores. Strange, the more I talk about this, the more exicted I get. What if we have limited the imagination and future skills or our children, with the toys we do not give them? You saying it was a book your brother gave you, that got you going, is like a seed in my mind. I had thought helping children realize shapes and their relationship with one another would be benefactial, and my old books says so, and you really prove the point! Something given to a child at the right moment can spark the child's imagination and be the beginning of further development. But then will schools kill that or nurture it?

I was never a good student, so I am not sure I learned easier at a younger age, but know I am much more motivated now. When we are young, so many personal agenda things can clutter our minds. My personal agenda is behind me, and now I really want to get into the world of math. My daughter is taking a math class that might interest me. I am waiting to see her text and get her report on the class. She said I might be able to audit the class, and that is something I will look into if it appears to be something that will help me put origami and math together.

I want to focus on math and origami, because I was so excited by the show, and think this is a good way of exciting children. I can use this information as a volunteer at our Science museum and through the museum take a demonstration to our schools. It would be wonderful to inspire an interest in math in our children. I think this is the only hope for their future. We need new answers to old problems, and today's math is so awesome! I think schools are doing a terrible teaching job, because they are not exciting children with math classes they are forced to take. I want to bring some excitement into the classroom.

Edited by Athena

I will dig out some pictures of simple curved line folding. They are not closed lines (this wouldn't work without pleating). Imagine a sheet of paper folded with three straight parallel lines - ie viewed from end the edge of the paper would form a W. You can also fold a piece of paper where these lines are curved (and the whole surface ends up curving) - its difficult and requires more precision.