Dying after a broken heart

In other words has anyone died from as a byproduct of depression due traumatic experience?

Of course they have, it is called suicide.

You do realize that all emotions are in your brain and not your body right? And that all feelings whether emotional or physical is just your brain interpreting interactions. If you were able to live as just a brain in a vat you would still be able to feel all the emotional and physical pain you do so now.

In other words has anyone died from as a byproduct of depression due traumatic experience?

Of course they have, it is called suicide.

You do realize that all emotions are in your brain and not your body right? And that all feelings whether emotional or physical is just your brain interpreting interactions. If you were able to live as just a brain in a vat you would still be able to feel all the emotional and physical pain you do so now.

well, depression can cause a suppresion of the immune system rising from chemical changes in the brain. due to the lowered immune function it can be easier to pick up disease and perform more poorly at fighting it off. it doesn't have to be suicide.

well, depression can cause a suppresion of the immune system rising from chemical changes in the brain. due to the lowered immune function it can be easier to pick up disease and perform more poorly at fighting it off. it doesn't have to be suicide.

Quite true, I didn't mean for suicide to be the absolute cause, just a byproduct death due to depression which is quite obvious. I phrased my post poorly due to being thrown by the oddity of the question at hand. Sorry about that.

• 4 weeks later...

The stress of bereavement can contribute to myocardial infarction (through for example increased blood pressure, in a previously compromised heart). Other heart-related symptoms such as palpitations, or breathing problems in patients suffering from lung disease, can also contribute to an MI after severe stress/bereavement. Thus the heart 'breaks' i.e. becomes unable to function.

But is is also possible to die from a truly broken heart such as heart rapture following a heart attack brought on by stress as above(http://ats.ctsnetjournals.org/cgi/content/full/77/5/1813). In addition, severe stress can increase blood pressure which then may cause the rupture of a pre-existing aortic aneurism, although this is not necessarily heart tissue.