Lab Report Help(Read Full Description)

Chemlab

Well we are doing a project in school and we are suppose to explain things that dont make sense in this lab report. I really didn't get this so my teacher gave me a practice lab report and told me to ask around to see if anyone could tell if anything is wrong. So I just want to ask anyone if they can identify the things that are wrong in this lab report.

The introduction does not really state the question that the experimenter is hoping to answer and the way the experiment will affect the hypothesis. The introduction is poor - I don't really like the way cooling through evaporation is described. I learnt the word as stoma and collectively as stomata - but that might be just old-fashioned.

The method is dreadful - a diagram is essential. A systematic and straightforward explanation of procedure once apparatus and setup is clear. Clearly explain what different situations are being testing and how. There is no mention of the control group in this section!

The report does not even mention error - every measurement is prone to various forms of error and these must be understood and accounted for.

Some of the conclusions (in the results section) do not follow from the experiment (although they may well be correct) . The initial part of results and discussion should be the results not conclusions. Use time elapsed rather than clock time - more easily comparable. The graphs are awful - two pages of tables that could easily be condensed into half a page, but only two rubbish graphs. Each experiment should be graphed - with the same axes/units/scales if possible.

The conclusion shouldn't have description of how to run the experiment - unless it is showing why this was necessary and what you have learnt. It should also not have results!

The above just a few pointers that occurred immediately. The main point is that each section of a write-up has requirements and uses - and this one fails almost everywhere. I can see your teachers point about showing you a bad write-up - and that one is bad - but I would also recommend seeking out some good write-up hints on the net.