Spider vs. Wasps

lemur

I found a spider web next to a wasp nest (see attached jpg). This seems like a potentially epic battle could evolve. I'm curious who people think will win and your reasons.

post-32058-058584400 1287946661_thumb.jpg

Edited by lemur

I suppose it depends. If those are anything like the gigantic wasps of doom we get here in Texas, I doubt they'd be stopped by a spider of any size. But if they're smaller, and the spider gets out of the way and lets them all get caught up in the web, it has a shot.

That's what I was wondering. FIrst, is the web strong enough to hold a wasp? Second, is the spider immune from the wasp stinging it if it tries to process it before it's dead. Third, is the spider smart enough to wait to avoid getting stung. Fourth, will the wasps figure out the spider is a threat and attack it? (that seems not to have happened yet and they've been there a while) Fifth, why didn't I just make a vertical list instead of writing this in paragraph form?

Have you been able to figure out what kind of spider it is? That could play a large role in how effective it is against wasps. If it normally eats very small things, I'm sure its web would have a hard time stopping a wasp.

I've heard them called "banana spiders" and after googling that name, the picture seems to match. I scanned the wiki entry without seeing anything about prey, but maybe I should go read it more thoroughly. I guess I was hoping I would post the picture and people would already know the details and predict the outcome on that basis.

I've seen a spider eating A wasp. But a whole nest... it will have some trouble.

However, I am betting, that the spider will like the "free meal" dropped on his web from time to time, and just lurk in the dark with full stomach, occasionally jumping on its new pray to paralyse it and trap it with his sticky shackles. :D

Edited by vordhosbn

I vote for the spider. If it has been that close to the nest for a while, then apparently the wasps do not see it as a threat. Probably no smells originate from the spider, like from mammals... the spider definitely doesn't cause any serious vibrations (to the house, or the air). In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the wasps are completely oblivious to the existance of the spider. They may not even know it's their neighbor at all.

What types of senses do wasps have to detect anything as a threat? I doubt that they can use their eyes for an identification of an enemy.

The only way the wasps will ever win is by teamwork. But it seems to me that the spider will take the wasps on

. Edited by CaptainPanic

Update: the spider is no longer there. There was/is another spider a few feet away on the same eave. I wish I had seen what happened to the spider. I would assume a wasp got caught in the web and stung the spider in an attempt to resist being processed. I'm disappointed because I would have liked to see the spider consume the whole nest of wasps so the wasps would be gone:( Maybe the second spider will fare better.

Well if it is getting rid of wasps that you want, knock down their nest on a cold early morning. They're cold blooded and are very sluggish when its cold. Wear as much clothes as you can though, and you can also put a sheet over your face. If it is a small nest (not multi-layered one) odds are the wasps won't even get you even without protection.

Well if it is getting rid of wasps that you want, knock down their nest on a cold early morning. They're cold blooded and are very sluggish when its cold. Wear as much clothes as you can though, and you can also put a sheet over your face. If it is a small nest (not multi-layered one) odds are the wasps won't even get you even without protection.

You're more cautious than I am. I don't wait for cold and I just knock the nest down with a long stick and sprint as far away as possible immediately afterward. Thanks for the concern for my pain-exposure though:)

Me too, and I sometimes just use my hands. But sometimes you have a nest that weighs a couple of pounds, and then you really don't want to get stung.

Then you're braver than I am. I always "really don't want to get stung," and I have never used my hand - always use a stick or something that keeps distance between me and the wasp's nest. Maybe over-cautious but even a single wasp-sting is painful enough to make the extra effort, imo.

• 3 months later...

On the other extreme. I find wasps are satisfyingly non-resistant to fire. A quick burst from an aerosol can with a lighter under it usually won't even mark paint, but any wasps present will lose their wings at the very least. This is a good backup if you go to spray them with insecticide, and they start stinging.

Disclaimer: Don't set fire to your house. If you don't get how and when dust can turn into a fireball, or when to pay attention to how much surface area something has, fire is not the tool to use.