Fundamental string perspective.

pcal

Hello everyone,

Nice to find a science forum that's not full of spam!

Firstly, I'm not a professional scientist, or expert in any theoretical field. Just a pleb trying to wrap my 4 dimensional mind around some 11 dimensional concepts. At a string level, my reading suggests we have branes, closed strings, and open strings that latch onto brane surfaces - all vibrating in curious multidimentional ways. I am also to understand that G force is represented as a closed string free to drift (accounting for it's relative weakness), while EM force is an open string latched to a brane upon which our universe exists.

What if...

It seems to me that a theory seeking to unify understanding of everything, shouldn't have 3 distinct basic components, it should only have 1. What if there was in fact only 1? My hypothesis is that there may only be closed strings as the basic building block. A brane could be a closed string that has been stretched to x size. An open string, may just be a closed string that has intersected the brane and become trapped in that position - a portion of it on either side of the brane.

EM force would then be represented by twice the cross section of the closed string where it intersects the brane, while G force would only be the single point of contact between a closed string and the brane surface. This would account for the relative difference in strentgh of the 2 forces. (I don't really understand the strong and weak nuclear forces well enough to try to incorporate them into this hypothesis - but feel free to try!).

The brane then - being the virtual substrate of the universe, would have a hole in the middle - black perhaps?

If then, our universe existed on the surface of the brane, what is there to say that the sparticles that keep everything in balance are not on the opposite side of the brane - in a closely related "equal and opposite" universe, with a black hole in the middle as a doorway between the two. The strings that intersect the brane would also serve at least as a possible conduit through which communication between the pairs of realities might be possible.

This isn't to discount the bulk, with multiple branes floating in parallel planes bumping into each other from time to time. But if each brane had an internal counterbalance, then the universal balance of everything would seem easier to maintain.

OK.

So now I've painted a target on my back, who wants to be first to shoot my hypothesis down?

;)

Regards

pcal

• 2 weeks later...