Medical biochemistry

I'm thinking of applying for a degree in Medical Biochemistry in september, I'm really into Biology and love the subject, the areas which have interested me most have been those on a molecular level so I thought biochemistry would be perfect. The only thing I'm worried about is the level of Chemistry, I'm really not into chemistry that much. When i look at the specification for the course it seems to be all Biology related, I'd just like to know how the Chemistry fits in and if im making a right decision? If theres any on here whos done a degree in biochemistry or knows alot about the subject could they please help? thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently doing a paper in biochemistry. It is basically looking at biology side of things at a molecular level, learning about the chemistry behind the biology. It is bio-chemistry so the biology side and the chemistry side are both important. It is very interesting, you should give it a go and try it out for yourself.

Edited by rainbow

When I started my biochemistry degree, a lot of people on the course didn't have a particularly good background/interest in chemistry, and I was told that my knowledge with chemistry would give me an advantage in certain things. However, I don't know about medical biochemistry, but on my course there was a lot of opportunity to select the areas you're best in after the first year in which you acquitre the chemistry basics - for example I went in to the area of molecular biology, whereas other people moved towards microbiology or genetics.

What I'm trying to say is that if you have a genuine interest in the subject you should be fine, but you should be prepared to do quite a bit of chemistry - especially in your first year. Perhaps you could give me the course outline so I have an idea what you'll be doing - on the face of it they may look like they don't contain much chemistry - but due to the very nature of the subject there will be quite a bit!

You never know though - you might find you become interested in chemistry once you start the course - before I started I hated physics, but now I love it.

Have you thought about getting into contact with the university to see what they say?

Edited by Greippi

Check the required courses at various schools, especially the ones you would most likely attend. Course titles and descriptions will help you to understand their content. Speak/email advisors there. Discuss your concerns with professors or department heads.

Determine what texts are used for the courses. The schools' bookstores might tell you online, or you may need to visit the schools' bookstores. Either visit the schools or local bookstores, and look through the books to see which chapters apply to the course and what they contain.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking of applying for a degree in Medical Biochemistry in september, I'm really into Biology and love the subject, the areas which have interested me most have been those on a molecular level so I thought biochemistry would be perfect. The only thing I'm worried about is the level of Chemistry, I'm really not into chemistry that much. When i look at the specification for the course it seems to be all Biology related, I'd just like to know how the Chemistry fits in and if im making a right decision? If theres any on here whos done a degree in biochemistry or knows alot about the subject could they please help? thanks

I don't think you should worry TOO much - a friend of mine is currently busy with her med biochem degree and there's not much chem going on there. She's been in the lab since the beginning of the year and is currently working on knock out mice. It depends however on whether this is a pre or post grad?

• 5 weeks later...