Selecting Embryos

Thales

Recently I was watching a debate on TV about the pro's and cons of screening embryos for genetic defects. The debate then pointed out that certain places in the world are starting to use the process for so called 'family balancing' where the sex of the child is selected so they can have a boy if they have five girls or vice versa. Do you see the screening of embryos as wrong or merely as a by-product of consciousness evolving?

For instance assuming aliens are much more scientifically advanced than we, they would have already mastered the art of genetic selection and have probably exploited it for the benefit of their race. Why shouldn'y we do the same.

Sure consciousness causes us to think about the ethics of the situation, but doesn't the rationalist in all of us want to grab this bull by the horns and speed up the 'natural' process of evolution?

I wonder if their is a gene for intellect, for instance? If so why would we 'voluntarily' have stupid children...

Recently I was watching a debate on TV about the pro's and cons of screening embryos for genetic defects. The debate then pointed out that certain places in the world are starting to use the process for so called 'family balancing' where the sex of the child is selected so they can have a boy if they have five girls or vice versa. Do you see the screening of embryos as wrong or merely as a by-product of consciousness evolving?

I think there's alot of merit in preventing congenital disease, but not for more frivolous desires like having a 'balanced' family.

For instance assuming aliens are much more scientifically advanced than we, they would have already mastered the art of genetic selection and have probably exploited it for the benefit of their race. Why shouldn'y we do the same.

No. On so many different levels.

Sure consciousness causes us to think about the ethics of the situation, but doesn't the rationalist in all of us want to grab this bull by the horns and speed up the 'natural' process of evolution?

I'd say the idealist would want to speed up the process of evolution. The rationalist would want to beat the idealist with a stick.

I wonder if their is a gene for intellect, for instance? If so why would we 'voluntarily' have stupid children...

Why wouldn't we? Maybe the parents will love whatever child they have.